Vanilla ice cream is a favorite dessert in our home. We enjoy it alone or occasionally combined with other sweets like home made apple pie, warmed in the oven or flourless brownies for an extra decadent dessert. If I am in the mood for chocolate, I will add raw organic chocolate syrup. Wilderness Family Naturals has a chocolate syrup with the cacao left intact. Raw cacao is extremely high in anti-oxidants. I know sugar of any kind is NOT healthy, and that includes all forms, but occasional treats as part of a well balanced diet are acceptable.
Using high quality ingredients add to the health benefit of these sweets. Raw cream and milk contain important vitamins and healthy fats, including vitamins A, D, K2, B12, B6, C, calcium, iron, iodine and minerals. Egg yolks are another super food, rich in nutrients. Raw local honey contains many vitamins, along with anti-allergenic and anti-bacterial properties. The following recipe is much more nutritious than any store bought ice cream you can buy.
- 3 cups raw, pastured organic cream
- 1.5 cups whole pastured, organic raw milk
- 3/4 cup raw local organic honey/ organic maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 pastured, organic egg yolks (optional)
- Mix above ingredients together and then add to ice cream maker. Cuisinart has an excellent ice cream maker which our family has enjoyed for years.
- Blend for 25-30 minutes. Test for desired softness after 20-25 minutes.
- Other ingredients can be added towards end if desired ie. chocolate chips, nut butter and/or chopped nuts.
- Store in container in freezer.
For more nutrient dense recipes and information on nutrition see Holistic Health to Go