The first evidence that lettuce was cultivated dates from 3000 AD. It has come into existence because the ancient Egypt farmers were breeding herbs to make them grow taller. The plant itself was considered as the earthly part of the God Min and it was supposed to enhance sexual capabilities.
This is in contrast to what nature medicine doctors from Europe do now. They prescribe lettuce as an anti-aphrodisiac, to calm down exaggerated libido. This is a paradox that might be solved in this way. The chemical components in this big leafed plant prevent people from having an orgasm too fast so you can enjoy sex longer and more intense. It is interesting to know that in 2014 scientists found out that the seeds of lettuce can be used as anti-conception agent. When anti-conception was introduced in the western world, there was a period of sexual freedom. This fact could be related to the origin of lettuce as the God Min. You can look at it this way: anti-conception methods improve sexual possibilities.
Lettuce from Holland
Dutchmen gave a new boost to the development of lettuce in the 16th and 17th century. The Netherlands were at that time a leader in global economy, science and agriculture. The agricultural university in Wageningen is a remnant from the knowledge to improve crop qualities without genetic modification. In The Netherlands, especially in North and South-Holland, farmers are still growing and exporting a number of varieties of this delicacy.
Most lettuce is very healthy. In a crop of regular lettuce we find, 21% of the RDA dose of vitamin A, 18% for folic acid , and 9% for iron. These are not very high percentages. The best thing for all kinds of lettuces is that they contain many enzymes. In a western food-based diet, it is easy to consume too few enzymes. Enzymes promote a normal digestion.
What does lettuce do?
Lettuce promotes lipid metabolism which is an important process in the human body. Antioxidant levels and oxygen levels are being improved by consuming this fresh leaf. Scientists say that it is good to help prevent cardiovascular diseases. These kinds of diseases are caused by low-grade inflammations. Antioxidant rich food helps to reduce the inflammation level. This vegetable is not a medicine that works right away; you benefit from it by consuming it on the long term.
What is the healthiest kind?
- Iceberg lettuce is the least healthy kind of crop. But it tastes well, is crispy and you can use it as a vehicle to eat your more nutritional medicinal veggies.
- Oak leaf lettuce is dark red. It is the most healthy kind.
- Romaine lettuce you can grow yourself easily. It is so healthy that scientists conclude it has neuroprotective effects. In other words: it prevents from diseases like dementia, Alzheimer, multiple sclerosis, and Parkinson.
- Lollo rosso is another healthy kind, more healthy than iceberg varieties. It is red or dark purple.
- Rocket salad you can also use as salad leafs. It is even more healthy than oak leaf, but rocket salad is mostly considered as too spicy to eat it in great quantities. It belongs to a different family of plants than the ones mentioned above.
Medicinal kitchen advises
Combine your leafs with other foods that are rich in nutrients. They are perfect to combine with wild vegetable leafs like dandelion leafs, endive, kale, spinach, and Chinese cabbage. Olive oil or hemp seed oil need some leafs to be consumed in delicious ways. Add bell peppers; onion rings, walnuts, an apple, sesame seeds, tomatoes, cucumbers to your salad. Finish it with vinegar, Celtic sea salt or Himalaya salt and pepper and enjoy your medicine!
- Fat metabolism, antioxidant: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15297097
- Romaine lettuce: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20553182
- Anticonception: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24799863
- General info: http://www.geneeskrachtigegroenten.nl/Groenten-en-hun-medicinale-werking/Sla/