Controlling what you eat on a daily basis and exercising regularly can do wonders in lowering the level of bad cholesterol in your body. Supplements are aplenty in the market, but they may not all work in the same way for everyone. One of the best ways to lower the bad cholesterol level in your body is to add certain foods into your daily diet. There are plenty of nutritious food that not only decrease cholesterol levels, but also provide you with good overall health.
Best Foods to Help Lower the Level of Bad Cholesterol in Your Body
Here are 5 of the best cholesterol-lowering foods that you can add to your daily diet:
- Oats: Oats are rich in fiber, which is essential for the improvement of cholesterol levels in your body. You can start your day with a bowl of oat-based cereals that are available in the market or oatmeal. This breakfast will provide you with approximately 2 grams of soluble fiber. For an additional half gram, you can add strawberries or bananas. According to nutrition studies, you should get 15 to 30 grams of fiber everyday and out of the 30 grams, 10 to 15 grams should come from soluble fiber.
- Beans: Beans are another rich source of soluble fiber and are great for those who want to lose weight. This is due to the fact that they take longer than other foods to be digested, which means that you do not feel hungry again for a longer period of time. Beans come in a wide variety so you can cook them in many delicious ways and not get bored with adding them to your meals.
- Nuts: Over the years, many studies have shown that nuts are good for your heart. You should eat about 2 ounces of nuts on a daily basis to lower LDL by about 7%. Nuts also have many other essential nutrients that are beneficial for your heart. With so many varieties available, you will have no problem finding nuts that you like and can add to your diet.
- Fruits: Fruits such as apples, grapes and strawberries are rich sources of a soluble fiber type that is known as pectin. Citrus fruits also have high pectin content. This type of soluble fiber is known to help immensely in lowering LDL in your body, so eat plenty of these fruits with your breakfast or as a light midday snack!
- Soy: Soybeans are known for many health benefits and one of them is their ability to lower the cholesterol levels in your body. Tofu and soymilk are also great foods that you can eat to gain the benefits of soybeans. Research has shown that if you eat 27 grams of proteins obtained from soybeans and soy food products every day, you can lower the LDL in your body by about 6 to 9%.
To lower the level of bad cholesterol in your body, all you need to do is make a few adjustments to the types of food you take in every day. This, along with regular exercise, will keep your heart and your entire body healthy for many years to come!