Warm weather provides the perfect reason for outdoor grilling. Spending time with family and friends, while preparing delicious foods and enjoying a cold beverage are all a great plus. However, the warm temperatures also provide a cornucopia of fresh foods choices to enjoy with every meal of the day. Check out these heart healthy tips to make your outdoor grilling adventures more enjoyable, tasty and heart healthy.
The Main Course:
Enjoy grilled fish: Fish with the high omega-3 fatty acids are trout, salmon and herring. Check out this heart healthy, great tasting grilled salmon and avocado recipe.
Avocado Topping: Mix together the following ingredients in a medium mixing bowl:
- 2 peeled and diced avocados 1 clove of minced garlic 4 tablespoons of low-fat yogurt 1 tablespoons of lemon juice
Salomon Rub: Mix together the following ingredients in medium mixing bowl.
- 2 teaspoons of dill weed 2 teaspoons of lemon pepper Blend of salt and pepper
Rub the salmon with the salmon rub and place on a preheated grill. Cook for 15 minutes and turn until it can be flaked with a fork. Remove from the grill and top with avocado mixture.
Download a free copy of the Super Fruit Handbook
Go for the chicken breast: Skip the dark meat (thighs and legs) and grill up the skinless chicken breasts.
- Slightly glaze skinless chicken breast with olive oil and place on the grill. Place single slice of pepper jack cheese and continue to grill until the chicken on done. Remove and enjoy.
Selecting the right type of red meat: Buy “round” or “loin” cuts of pork or red meat. Also, skip the “prime” grade and buy the “select” or “choice”. The reason is these have less fat.
- Mix one tablespoon of honey, one tablespoon of lime juice, 2 minced garlic gloves and ¼ cup of sesame oil.
- Marinade steak for 30 minutes. Place steak on heated grill and turn as needed. Remove and let set for 5 minutes.
- Cook directly on the grill. Cooking on the rack also the fat to drip away from the food you are grilling.
Grilled fruit: Try grilling sliced pineapple, peaches, apples or plums. These make a great addition to any plate and best of all the natural sugar will caramelize and really lock in the flavor. In addition, fruit are loaded with vitamins, fiber and minerals.
- Slice fruit and gently place on the heat grill and turn as needed. Allow the fruit to caramelize. Remove and enjoy as side dish.
Grilled Vegetables: Toss on the sliced zucchini, bell peppers or asparagus. In addition, fresh cucumbers, celery sticks or carrots make an excellent substitute for fatty potato chips.
- Place veggies directly on the grill and turn as needed until done. Remove and enjoy.
Go Green: Try to eat at least one color of the rainbow with every meal. Enjoy some fresh strawberries with breakfast or sliced oranges for lunch. In addition, add some crunch to your day with snap peas or rhubarb.
- Swap out the ice cream for sorbet, frozen yogurt or ices. Check out this great tasting apricot dessert:
Grilled Coconut and Apricots
- Top off low-fat vanilla yogurt with some sliced grilled apricots, toasted coconut (toasted on the grill) and a drizzle of honey.
Peaches and Cream:
- Slice six fresh peaches and place in the grill. Gently turn until caramelized. Remove and top with low-fat vanilla yogurt.
Learn about the natural health benefits of fruit. Download a free copy of the Super Fruit Handbook