In 2015 it was estimated that 231,840 new cases of invasive breast cancer would be diagnosed in the United States. (1) Most households personally know at least one person who has battled breast cancer.
There are numerous foods and compounds that have been studied for their ability to prevent or treat diseases. The pharmaceutical industry continues to push patented medications that have numerous side effects but are sure to make a profit. Meanwhile, research continues to grow that the plants and foods in nature are effective in preventing and treating diabetes, arthritis and even cancer. (2)
Chinese researchers have recently revealed the impact of chamomile and thyme oil on breast cancer cells. The research team studied the use of mint, ginger, lemon, grapefruit, jasmine, lavender, chamomile, thyme, rose and cinnamon essential oils on cancer cells. The team utilized a concentration of .2 percent essential oils observed how they affected breast cancer cells, lung cancer cells and prostate cancer cells. (2)
Essential oils prove to be effective at inhibiting prostate, lung and breast cancers!
The concentration of .2 percent was effective at inhibiting both prostate and lung cancer cells with the exception of mint. The study found that cinnamon, thyme, chamomile, and jasmine had more potent effects against breast cancer cells.(2)
The most effective of the oils was chamomile and thyme oil. Chamomile killed 93 percent of breast cancer cells in vitro and thyme oil killed 97 percent of MCF-7 breast cancer cells.(2)
Thyme essential oil killed 97 percent of breast cancer cells!
Thyme oil contains 20-54 percent thymol which is known as a biocide. Biocides are substances that can destroy harmful organisms. Thymol has one of the strongest antimicrobial attributes when compared to other biocides. Thyme oil isn’t just a cancer fighter, but has many other powerful uses. (3)
Thyme oil is also an effective acne treatment, lowers blood pressure, fights colon cancer, yeast infections and kills bacteria!
- Acne: A study from Leeds Metropolitan University in England found that thyme oil is more effective than prescription acne creams. Researchers found that thyme had a significantly greater antibacterial effect than benzoyl peroxide. (3)
- Hypertension: A study from the University of Belgrade found that wild thyme reduced blood pressure. (3)
- Food poisoning: Thyme oil acts as a natural preservative to foods and protects against food borne bacteria. A Polish study found that thyme oil is even effective at fighting Staphylococcus, Enterococcus, Escherichia and Pseudomonas genera bacteria strains.(3)
- Colon Cancer: Another study confirmed thyme oil may protect from colon cancer. (3)
- Yeast Infection: Candida albicans is the common cause of mouth and vaginal yeast infections. A study from Italy found that thyme oil significantly enhanced intracellular killing of candida.(3)
If you are new to essential oils, consider doing more research or speaking with a qualified homeopathic doctor or a qualified representative. If you are seasoned in using essential oils, make sure to add thyme essential oil to your next order.