Your home is where many of the investments you love such as upholstery are found. But like other things, furniture and other upholstery wear and tear over time. However, you can prolong their life with regular and proper cleaning. Below are the pointers you need to remember when cleaning them.
- Understand upholstery-cleaning codes. The furniture industry, like other industries, has its own codes, which represents the methods by which a particular type of upholstery should be cleaned. Generally, there are four codes. These are S, W, WS and X. If the code is S, then you have to dry-clean the fabric. If the code is W, you need to use a detergent that is water based. If the code is W, you may do dry clean or use water. Lastly, if the code is X, you need a professional to do the cleaning.
- Determine the upholstery cleaner to use. To be successful in cleaning your upholstery, meaning you don’t worsen the situation or cause it any damage, you must use the right cleaner. To determine which one to use, you need to know first the materials the upholstery is made of. Usually, the materials used are acrylic, acetate, cotton, linen, olefin, silk, wool, rayon and others. Each type of material requires a different method of and materials for cleaning. Second, look at the type of stain. A stain from paint requires a different method of cleaning from other sources such as milk or food sauce.
- Perform basic cleaning methods. Before removing stains that have been on the upholstery for a long time, it would be more practical to clean off the dust and dirt first. Use vacuum to completely free the upholstery from dust. Using a vacuum is most important if there are wet spots. The machine will prevent the affected areas from becoming more messy and dirty.
Regularly cleaning your upholstery has several benefits that would make your life at home more comfortable and safe. Below are some of the top benefits.
- Freshens smell. Your home is where you relax and rest after a long tiring day. However, if there are bad odors such as those that come from dirty upholstery, you feel stressed and distracted. So, keeping everything including your upholstery clean will always make your home inviting and smelling fresh.
- Removes allergens, bacteria and other unhealthy microorganisms. When you don’t do regular cleaning, the upholstery is one favorable area for microorganisms to stay and reproduce. If this is not prevented, they may multiply and may cause you and your loved ones diseases and other unhealthy conditions.
- Prolongs the life of upholstery. When dusts stay too long on the surface or even on the inner part of your upholsteries, scratches may develop when you sit on or use them. Letting dust and dirt sit in for too long also makes them look thin and dull. Keeping the upholstery free from dirt prolongs its life.
If you can’t always do the cleaning by yourself, you can seek the service of professional cleaners, which also offer several advantages. Below are some of these.
- Performs cleaning effectively. Professional cleaners are equipped with the right knowledge and skills. So, they know how to clean every type of stain effectively. Whatever the type of material is used, thy also know what cleaner and method to use. Hiring them would allow you to relax and relieve yourself of the stress you get from unsuccessful cleaning.
- Does the job efficiently. Because they know how to perform every step of the cleaning process, they can perform and finish the job in no time. Even without you monitoring them, you can be assured that they will do the cleaning properly in just a short time.
If you are not yet implementing a regular cleaning schedule for your upholsteries, now is the time to do it.