Kombucha has been widely used for many years, it is an effective remedy for tiredness, fatigue, anxiety, anti-aging, anti-narrowing of the blood vessels, rheumatism, constipation and diabetes.
It has been proven that many of its components have antibiotic and detoxification properties.
Here is a simple recipe for making your own kombucha at home:
You have to prepare
•1 gallon filtered water
•8 black tea bags
•4 green tea bags
•1 cup organic sugar
•½ – 1 cup kombucha
•large wide-mouth glass jar
•large rubber band
1.Heat the water and add the tea bags. Steep for about 5-10 minutes and remove the bags. Remove from heat.
2.Add the sugar and stir to dissolve. Allow tea to cool.
3.When the sweetened tea is cool, pour into your clean glass jar.
4.Add about ½ cup of kombucha – either the liquid that comes with your SCOBY or use store-bought raw, unpasteurized kombucha. With clean hands, place the SCOBY in the jar.
5.Place a tea towel or double layer of paper towel on top and secure tightly with a rubber band. You want it to be able to breathe, but you also need to keep bugs out.
6.Place jar in a relatively warm, dark place where it will not be disturbed.
Allow your mixture to sit for about a week. To test it, slip a straw into the liquid and put your finger over the top. This will hold a small amount in the straw so you can taste it. If it is very sweet, leave it a bit longer. It should be slightly sweet, tangy and slightly effervescent. If it tastes off at all, start over. It could take two weeks depending on fermenting conditions, but shouldn’t be much more.
See what kombucha can do for you:
1. Detoxify the body: Kombucha contains glucuronic acid, which is a detoxicant. This helps to convert toxins in the body into compounds that the body can then excrete. Drinking kombucha has also been shown to help prevent your tissues from absorbing industrial toxins outside, in the environment.
2. Antioxidant properties: Full of antioxidants, such as vitamins E, C, beta-carotene, and carotenoids, kombucha has plenty of power. Drinking traditional kombucha can actually help cure chronic illnesses that are brought on by oxidative stress.
Additionally, the high level of vitamin C in kombucha helps to support the body’s immune system and protect you from cell damage, tumors and inflammatory diseases.
3. Provides energy: Need a little extra pick me up? The iron in kombucha raises your body’s levels of hemoglobin and improves the flow of oxygen to your tissues. This gives you an immediate burst of energy, and can keep you going all day.
4. Balances metabolism: Drinking kombucha can help balance your body’s metabolism which can even help you lose weight.
5. Decrease blood sugar: Along with balancing the metabolism for weight loss, kombucha can also decrease the body’s blood sugar levels. This means that it can both control appetite and help get rid of, and prevent, diabetes.
6. Treats high blood pressure: Kombucha has been used to prevent the headaches and dizziness that are a byproduct of high blood pressure. In fact, it has even been recommended as a treatment for hypertension. So if you or someone you know suffer from high blood pressure, adding a cup of kombucha a day can decrease, or even get rid of, these headaches and dizzy spells.
7. Prevents iron deficiency: Those who are anemic will want to add kombucha to their repertoire right away. The organic acids found in the drink have been shown to make iiron from plant sources more available to the body. The vitamin C in kombucha enhances iron absorption, so these two properties can help prevent anemia all together.
8. Heals ulcers: Research has shown that kombucha can help to heal ulcers. This is great news for anyone who suffers, and has to purchase over-the-counter remedies on a regular basis. Instead, drink a cup of kombucha every day for the same relief!
9. Lowers cholesterol: Anyone who high cholesterol levels will be happy to know that kombucha has been shown to lower cholesterol levels. It also helps to raise the ‘good’ cholesterol levels. Studies on animals have shown that kombucha can decrease cholesterol levels by as much as 50%.
10. Reduces headaches, depression and nervousness: Kombucha contains a number of amino acids that help the nervous system perform normally. This means that anyone with headaches, depression and even epilepsy may benefit from kombucha. It removes, or reduces, these problems and allows you to function on a more even keel.