Garlic has been used as a medicine since long time, this vegetable is rich in antioxidants and vitamins. And studies showed it can help boost the immune system as well due to its anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties. A strong immune system means less diseases and a study has found that garlic is 100 times more effective than two popular antibiotics at fighting disease causing bacteria commonly responsible for foodborne illness.
When garlic is crushed, alliin becomes allicin, this is the active ingredient which gives garlic so many medicinal properties. It’s believed that allicin in garlic has the following positive effects for overall health:
- Prevents heart attack and strokes
- Lowers total cholesterol, LDL and increases HDL cholesterol
- Prevents the common cold and flu
- Prevents cancers
- Reduces the risk of developing atherosclerosis
If you consume garlic regularly, it can help prevent or treat the common cold and flu naturally. And there are different ways to add it into your diet.
A soup based on more than 50 cloves of garlic, onions, thyme and lemon is highly recommended ad it will destroy almost any virus that enters its path including colds, flu and even norovirus.
The Miracle Garlic Soup Recipe
•26 garlic cloves (unpeeled)
•26 garlic cloves, peeled
•2 tablespoons organic olive oil
•2 tablespoons organic butter
•1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
•1/2 cup fresh ginger
•2 1/4 cups sliced onions
•1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
•1/2 cup coconut milk
•3 1/2 cups organic vegetable broth
•4 lemon wedges
- Preheat the oven till 350F and put 26 garlic cloves in a glass baking dish.
- Add the olive oil and sea salt and toss to coat. Cover the baking dish with foil and baked for about 45 minutes until the garlic becomes tender.
- Let the garlic cool and then squeeze them between fingertips to release cloves, put them in a bowl.
- Melt butter in a saucepan and add onions, thyme, ginger and cayenne powder to cook for some minutes until onions are translucent.
- Then add the roasted garlic and the other 26 garlic cloves, cook for 3 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth; cover and simmer to make garlic becomes very tender.
- Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth.
- Place the soup to saucepan again; add coconut milk and bring to simmer. Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Add lemon juice into the bowl and serve.
This warm soup is very useful for the cold and flu prevention and it creates an anti-inflammatory effect as well as increases movement of nasal fluids, which clears the nasal passages and eases congestion.