Exfoliation is well known to everyone and there’s hardly a person who doesn’t know what it is. There are so many body scrubs, facial scrubs, foot scrubs, etc. available in the market and you too make sure you exfoliate your facial skin and body skin well twice a week sloughing off those dead skin cells but did you forget about your scalp? There lies so much dirt and oil. It also gets dirty like any other part of your body and so it also needs the same care as your rest of the body needs. Wondering on how to do this? Try using an exfoliating shampoo or make one yourself at your home.
Why Scalp Exfoliation is Necessary?
By now you know your scalp needs exfoliation and we’ll discuss how to do it too but it’s also important to know why it is necessary. Here are few of the top reasons why you may want to exfoliate your scalp.
1. To remove dead cells
2. To get rid of itchy scalp and flakes.
3. To prevent premature hair loss
4. To get rid of build up on your scalp and prevent clogging of hair follicles
5. To prevent scalp acne, pimples and white heads (Wondering if you have any of them?)
How to Exfoliate Your Scalp At Home:
Exfoliating scalp is very easy. Check the steps below and follow them.
1. Exfoliation while shampooing:
Cleansing is very important step whether it’s your face or scalp. Here shampoo does the role. Take a spoonful of brown sugar and mix it with your shampoo and apply gently to your scalp in circular motions. Massage for at least 5 minutes and then rinse well. You need to be patient while rinsing.
2. Exfoliation while conditioning:
You can exfoliate while you condition your hair. Add few drops of any essential oil for hair and a spoon of sugar to the conditioner. Apply this mixture of conditioner to your scalp and massage gently in circular motions for minimum 5 minute using your finger tips and then wash thoroughly paying some patience. Now rinse your hair with vinegar or lemon juice.
Few Homemade Recipes:
Here are few homemade recipes for scalp scrubs. These are quite easy to make and instead of exfoliating while shampooing or conditioning, you can make them and exfoliate separately.
1. Coconut oil and Brown Sugar Scrub:
Take 3 tbsp of sugar with 2 tbsp of coconut oil and add few drops of any essential oil like jasmine, lavender or tea tree oil. Apply this mixture to your scalp and massage gently for few minutes, say 5 min and wash with a mild shampoo.
2. Honey and Sugar Scrub:
Take half cup of honey and 1 cup of sugar and mix them with few drops of white vinegar. Apply this mixture to your scalp and massage gently with your finger tips. Then rinse well.
3. Egg and Olive Oil Scrub:
Mix 2 spoons olive oil and an egg. Now add a spoon of vinegar and a spoonful of powdered fenugreek seeds. Massage this well to your scalp for few minutes and leave it for 30 minutes and then rinse well.
1. Apple cider vinegar works very well for exfoliating. Not only scalp but it’s also very good for your hair. Find out more on benefits of Apple cider vinegar.
2. Never massage for too long. Just 5 min is enough since if you put excess stress; this may lead to hair fall.
3. Even for those 5 minutes, you need be patient and massage very gently. Do not be harsh while you massage.
4. If you are a frequent user of hair gels, hair mousse and other hair styling products, then you should exfoliate your scalp at least once a week.
5. Experiment. You know your scalp better than anyone else. Experiment with ingredients that may suit you well. Try using aloe vera gels, oatmeal, tea tree oil, brown sugar, onion juice, yogurt, thyme, lemon juice, sage, etc. These are few of the healthiest ingredients for your hair. Since it’s a scrub, you just need to make sure you add some granulated ingredient to your recipe.