Diarrhea, a condition of having liquid bowel movements lasting for a few days, is a method to remove the unwelcome substances of the body. You know you get diarrhea when you notice the watery and loose stools.
Symptoms of Diarrhea
Here are some common symptoms of diarrhea:
- Frequent bowel movements
- Nausea and vomiting
- Fever and dehydration
- Abdominal pain
Normally, diarrhea will last from 1-2 weeks, which is called acute diarrhea. In case it occurs for more than 2 weeks, the condition becomes chronic diarrhea.
Causes of Diarrhea
Basically, diarrhea is caused by the consumption of contaminated foods or water, where the bacteria and viruses live and grow. Besides, there are other factors that potentially trigger the condition such as food allergies, excessive alcohol consumption, anxiety, stress, side effects of medicinal treatments, etc.
As soon as bacteria and viruses attack the digestive system, they will immediately cause damage to the lining, inhibiting the fluid absorption of the bowel. Accordingly, the bowel movements become quicker, leading to the symptoms of diarrhea.
Fortunately, with mild cases of diarrhea, there is no need to resort to medicines or other chemical products. Instead, you can easily treat the condition using natural ingredients from nature.
Let’s take a look at top 15 home remedies for diarrhea.
1. Oral Rehydration Salts
Before applying any treatments for diarrhea, do not forget to use oral rehydration salts (ORS) within the first 12 hours.
Mix sugar and salt in the ratio of 12:1 and put it into a lot of water then dissolve. Use the solution to consume in an hour.
Another ingredient used to successfully treat diarrhea is ginger that is also beneficial for overall digestive system.
- Make a cup of tea from ginger to consume. Do this 2-3 times daily to soothe the stomach and help you relieve from cramping.
- Alternatively, make a solution from honey, cumin powder, cinnamon powder, and dried ginger powder. Consume it 3 times a day until you see improvement.
- Mix ginger juice and lemon juice in the same amount and add into it a little crush pepper. Consume the solution 3 times a day to get the best result
To treat the symptoms of diarrhea, do not forget to use bananas, a fruit rich in soluble fiber and minerals. Specifically, the pectin in the fruit helps to stimulate the absorption of liquid in digestive system, reducing the excessive liquid in the stools. Plus, bananas also provide potassium to make up for the loss of electrolytes in diarrhea.
- Simply consume 1-2 ripe bananas a day.
- Alternatively, mash a ripe banana and mix with a teaspoon of tamarind pulp and add a little bit of salt. Consume the mixture twice daily.
The pectin is always essential to consolidate the stools, which is needed to improve the condition of diarrhea. Thankfully, this substance is abundant in apple, a healthy superfood. Additionally, the fruit also possesses an impressive amount of vitamin C and potassium used to keep the body hydrated and prevent fatigue.
Simply consume 1-2 apples daily or drink its juice and smoothies. Read more: Great Health Benefits of Apples.
Among treatments for diarrhea, fenugreek is standing out for its ample source of mucilage and fiber content, which can add bulk to the stool and improve the bowel movements. Accordingly, by using fenugreek seeds for diarrhea, you can quickly get relief from the symptoms and improve your health.
- Combine a teaspoon of fenugreek and a tablespoon of yogurt and consume. Do this 2-3 times a days until you see the improvement.
- This is not recommended for small children who are suffering from chronic or acute diarrhea.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar offers so many health benefits to human, including treatments for diarrhea. This is due to the antibacterial properties as well as the pectin in the liquid, which are used to soothe the stomach and reduce intestinal spasms.
- Dilute some apple cider vinegar into water
- Use the solution to consume at least twice a day until the condition improves.
Although it is said that you shouldn’t use dairy product when suffering from diarrhea, yogurt, in fact, is beneficial for these patient. Apparently, the ingredient contains the “live cultures” that is able to protect the intestines and remove toxin in the digestive system. For this reason, yogurt should always present on the list of home remedies for diarrhea.
Chamomile is an excellent source of antispasmodic properties and tannins, which makes it a perfect treatment for diarrhea. After being absorbed, the tea will actively soothe the stomach and ease the symptoms of diarrhea. Besides, it also provides enough water to make up for the loss caused during the condition.
- Add a teaspoon of each chamomile and peppermint leaves into a cup of boiling water. Let it steep for 15 minutes. Strain and enjoy the tea for at least 3 times a day.
- Tea bags of chamomile are also recommended.
9. Orange Peal Tea
By accelerating the healing process of digestive system, orange peel tea is a potential candidate for treatments of diarrhea.
- Take some peel from fresh and washed oranges. Chop them into small pieces.
- Add the pieces into a cup of boiling water and let it steep for a few minutes. Strain and enjoy the tea 2-3 times daily
- You can also add sugar or honey to improve the taste
Being included in the list of home remedies for diarrhea, you will never get disappointed for using potatoes.
- Boil some potatoes to consume daily to soothe the stomach and get the nutrients to make up the loss.
- Cook potatoes with white rice in a lot of water. Add into it a little salt and consume in daily meal.
Blueberries are so well known as a healthy fruit for people since it have a lot of great impacts on human body. One of blueberries benefits we have to mention here is the ability to make effective home remedy for diarrhea due to its content of anthocyanosides compounds, antioxidants, antibacterial properties, and fiber.
- Consume a handful of dried blueberries during the day.
- Make a cup of blueberries tea by crushing the fruit and adding them into some boiling water. Let it steep for 10 minutes before consuming.
- Also, you can add blueberries into some side dishes if you wish.
12. White Rice
Being rich in starch and easy to digest, white rice does its best to help you promptly get rid of diarrhea.
To make use of white rice, boil some white rice without any sauces. Also, you can have it with boiled plain vegetable or fruit. Remember to drink lots of water for better effects.
13. Black Tea
Black tea is another ingredient to make home remedies for diarrhea that you should take note. Basically, the tea provides a quick relief from the symptoms of diarrhea and improves the digestive system.
- Make a cup of black tea and consume 1-2 times daily.
- You can add sugar, honey or some lemon juice to improve the taste. Do not add milk.
14. Black Seed Oil
Black seed oil has been used for a long time to deal with various digestive problems like gas, colic, constipation and especially diarrhea.
- Add a teaspoon of black seed oil into a cup of plain, unsweetened yogurt.
- Use it to consume 1-2 times daily to ease the symptoms of diarrhea.
15. Carrot Soup
Carrot soup seems to be a suitable food to consume while suffering from the digestive problem, as it is rich in antidyspeptic properties that can reduce the symptoms of diarrhea. Besides, carrot soup also supplies a great amount of nutrients used to make up for the loss caused by the condition.
- Wash some carrots, scrape them and chop finely.
- Put them in pressure cooker and add ½ cup of water. Cook for at 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the excessive liquid and add a little salt.
- Use it the consume daily until you see improvement
More by Jenny Heth