Diarrhea is one of the gastroenterology diseases in which feces are discharged from the bowels frequently in a liquid form. It’s caused by the expansion of the intestines, and the exact opposite of constipation, which is caused by stiffening and narrowing of the intestines.
There are many types of diarrhea, some of which is caused by poisoning and some of which is caused by viruses. In normal circumstances; the stomach empties food content after 2-3 hours through the anus. But in the case of diarrhea, food moves too quickly throughout the intestinal tract without much absorption.
The causes of diarrhea are many, including:
- inflammatory bowel due to organisms such as parasites.
- food poisoning or bacterial infection.
- sensitivity to some food.
- foods that the digestive tract cannot endure.
- diseases such as Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis.
- satiety and malnutrition.
- taking certain medications, especially antibiotics that have diarrhea side effects.
- diarrhea may accompany some types of cancers.
Symptoms of diarrhea:
Normal diarrhea symptoms:
- pain and abdominal bloating and stiffening.
- nausea and vomiting.
- watery stool.
- a sense of colic due to the bowel movement.
As for the more serious symptoms of diarrhea are:
- weight loss.
- stools with blood.
- dark-colored stools.
Natural treatment for diarrhea:
Normal diarrhea can be controlled using simple home remedies, but if the case is associated with more serious symptoms such as loss of weight and color-change in stools, then these situations require immediate medical attention.
Home remedies to stop diarrhea:
- Mustard seeds: they have antibacterial properties and help get rid of diarrhea.
- Sour milk: contains lactic acid, which is effective in fighting bacteria and germs and soothe the digestive system.
- Fenugreek seeds: they have antibacterial and anti-fungal properties.
- Lemon juice: contains anti-inflammatory properties that help to cleanse the stomach.
- Pomegranate seeds: helps to reduce diarrhea symptoms because it contains an alanine compound which works to clutch intestinal tissue.
- Natural honey: helps to get rid of diarrhea.
- Rice: a light meal which helps with the formation of feces and eventually stopping diarrhea.
- Basil tea: contains a tannin substance which works as a clutch within the intestinal tract.
- Cinnamon: boiled cinnamon is pretty useful for diarrhea.boiled cinnamon is pretty useful for the cohesion of watery stools.
- Soup: helps to replace lost body fluids.
- Bananas, apples and carrots: they contain a pectin compound which helps to reduce diarrhea.
Nutritional guidance to help alleviate diarrhea:
1. Drink sufficient amounts of fluids during the first 12-24 hours of diarrhea in the form of water, gravy, salty soups; to replenish the body. Preferred to drink 8-14 cups of water daily.
2. Avoid drinking carbonated water; because they increase the severity of diarrhea.
3. Do not use sugar substitutes such as sorbitol and mannitol found in diabetic diets, because they also increase the severity of diarrhea.
4. Do not drink whole milk as it increases the severity of diarrhea.
5. Reduce from fat and oils used in food because they increase the severity of diarrhea.
6. Advisable to eat several snacks distributed during the day and prefer to eat slowly.
7. Reduce the intake of foods rich in fiber such as vegetables and fruits.
8. Eat starchy foods such as rice and potatoes that are rich in protein and easy to digest. As well as chopped meat and cheese.
9. Eat garlic and dry mint for their disinfectant effects to get rid of diarrhea quickly.
10. Do not overindulge dry legumes such as beans, because they cause abdominal gas production and increase the discomfort of the patient.
11. Avoid foods that contain a lot of spices for a few days.
From here we see the importance of using the correct nutrients and home remedies to relieve diarrhea, taking into account the need to consult a doctor in cases of severe diarrhea, which may be a symptom of an underlying problem.
How do you normally treat diarrhea?