Made from the perennial herb oregano and packed with free-radical-crushing antioxidants, oregano oil is one of the most effective antibiotics that beneficial to your health in many ways. With its strong antioxidant, anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties, oregano oil used to deal with various ailments. It can be used both internally and externally and suitable for most people, but before you use it, there are some facts you should know about this miracle oil:
- Produced from the herb, there are more than 40 varieties of the plant, and the oil from Oreganum vulgare is said to hold the most therapeutic benefit, according to Alive.
- Actually the taste of oregano oil is terrible, so don’t expect that you’ll enjoy consuming it.
- There are four main groups of chemicals oregano oil contains that makes it as one of the most effective antibiotics:
- Carvacrol and thymol, both of which have strong antioxidant and antiseptic effect;
- Pinene and terpinene, which have antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties;
- Linalool and bonreol, with sntiviral and antiseptic effect;
- Linalyl acetate and geranyl acetate, well known for their antifungal properties.
- Be careful when applying it to your skin, as the pure form of oregano is too strong to be used directly. It must be diluted before apply to the skin, or it can be irritating to your skin.
- Some people should avoid using oregano oil, including infants and children, and pregnant women. People who’re with high blood pressure should also avoid it.
There is no doubt that oregano oil has become more and more popular, why there’s so much interest in it? Let’s take a look at the best uses for oregano oil:
1. To treat toothaches and other mouth conditions
Thymol in oregano oil has ability to reduce the pain of a toothache or gum disorder, this ingredient can be found in many mouthwashes due to its antiseptic properties. When you suffer from a toothache, massage a few drops of the diluted oregano oil into gums around the infected area to relieve the symptoms.
2. To enhance the digestive process and cure indigestion
Health begins in the gut, oregano oil is one of the best natural ingredients to aid in digestion by stimulating the flow of bile into the digestive organs. It treats lots of digestive issues, including ulcers, bacterial infections and even food poisoning. When you have an upset stomach, drink a few drops of oregano oil mixed with 1-2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil after your meals.
3. To help you combat aging
Combating aging has become as a hottest trend nowadays, people are looking for methods to slow down the process of aging, while what you have to know is that aging is normally the effect of free radicals and oxidation, that’s why antioxidants are so important for supporting graceful aging. Oregano oil is rich in antioxidants, making it a good choice for you to anti-aging.
4. To give you relief from several skin ailments
The oil is helpful for several skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis and candidasis. When applying it to your skin, mix it with the carrier oils like coconut oil, olive oil or jojoba oil.
5. To help you keep insects away from your house in a nontoxic way
Just like mint and thyme, the plant of oregano is a natural insect repellent. Oregano oil can be used to make bugs spray by mixing it with other essential oils and natural witch hazel along with water.
6. To help you treat allergies and other environment sensitivities
The soothing properties of oregano can help you a lot when you suffer from allergies. This is mainly because of the carvacrol it contains, which has strong anti-inflammatory peoperties to relieve the symptoms of the allergies, such as sneezing, itching and congestion.
7. To give you a relief from a sore throat
Adding a few drops of oregano oil in water and drink it, it will provide some relief from a sore throat. It works by killing the bacteria or virus that cause the condition and also boosts the body’s defense against these pathogens.
8. To help you achieve your weight loss goals
Studies found that oregano oil has ability to help reduce the chances of weight gain thanks to the carvacrol, an active ingredient of oregano oil, may prevents diet-induced obesity.