Toxins are everywhere – in the air, in our food and in our water. These can build up in the body and cause a variety of illnesses and chronic diseases. Here are 7 things you can do, starting today, to reduce the toxins in your body and get healthy.
1. Buy Organic: Fruits and vegetables are full of pesticides, and washing them helps, but can’t get rid of toxins entirely. When possible, buy organic fruits and veggies, particularly those that you don’t have to peel, such as berries, lettuce, celery, and apples. Fruits and vegetables like bananas, oranges and turnips will be protected by the outer skin. It’s okay to buy the regular varieties of these foods, rather than organic if budget is an issue.
2. Stay Away from BPA Plastics: Bisphenol A can be found in microwave cookware, water bottles, baby bottles, and juice containers. The problem with BPA is that it mimics oestrogen in the body. This can cause serious diseases such as certain cancers, and reproductive disorders. Luckily, many manufacturers are responding to the demand for BPA products and using alternatives. Look for labels that specifically say, “BPA-Free.”
3. Get Rid of your Makeup: Lipstick, cheek powder, foundation, eyeshadow and other types of makeup contain chemicals and harsh ingredients that seep into the skin and bloodstream. It’s just as important to pay attention to what goes on your body, as what goes in it. If you absolutely can’t go out of the house without makeup, choose organic, natural products.
4. Minimize Mercury Exposure: While certain types of fish are healthy, they can contain high levels of mercury. Examples are tuna, swordfish, catfish, marlin and shark. You don’t have to eliminate these foods entirely, but try not to eat them more than twice a week.
5. Steer Clear of Artificial Sweeteners: These are hidden in anything that is labeled, ‘sugar-free,’ including yogurt, ice cream, cereals, and even gum. These can be extremely bad for your health. Try natural alternatives like Stevia.
6. Use Natural Cleaning Products: Every day cleaning products may work well, but they are full of harmful chemicals that pollute the air you breathe. They can cause asthma, allergies and a host of other chronic illnesses. Simple household ingredients can clean just as well. Try baking soda, vinegar and lemon juice to clean your home.
7. Take Some Chlorella: This algae has numerous health benefits and can help rid your body of heavy metals that have built up over time. Chlorella is high in protein, vitamins and minerals. It can be taken as a supplement, and is available at most health food stores.
RELATED READING – Looking and Feeling Good With The Lemon Detox Diet