Though traditionally overlooked as just a garnish, parsley is a giant amongst other herbs in terms of health benefits, and in such small amounts too. Here are some reasons why a sprinkle of parsley can not only make your meals tastier, but also your body healthier.
- Parsley is rich in many vital vitamins, including Vitamin C, B 12, K and A. This means parsley keeps your immune system strong, tones your bones and heals the nervous system, too.
- It helps flush out excess fluid from the body, thus supporting kidney function. However, the herb contains oxalates, which can cause problems for those with existing kidney and gall bladder problems.
- Regular use of parsley can help control your blood pressure. The folic acid in this herb is like a tonic for your heart.
- Parsley essential oil, when massaged into the scalp, may reduce hair loss.
- Use parsley daily, and you’ll feel relief from joint pain. That’s because the herb has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Parsley tea relaxes stiff muscles and encourages digestion.
- Studies indicate that parsley—especially its essential oil—may have a role in inhibiting cancerous tumors.
How To Use Parsley In Your Green Smoothie
Blueberry and Cucumber Smoothie Recipe
- 1/2 organic cucumber
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1 cup organic Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 cup organic blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 ounces filtered water
1- Add the liquid to your blender first, then the soft fruit. And add the greens to your blender last.
2- Blend on high for 30 seconds or until the smoothie is creamy.
This smoothie is packed with vitamin A (almost 2 times of the RDA) and vitamin C, calcium, iron and protein. It is also a rich source of folate, vitamin K, copper and manganese.
Iron-Rich Pineapple Detox Recipe
- 1 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 3 cups dandelion greens, chopped
- 1 large pear, cored
- 2 cups pineapple, cubed
- 8 ounces of filtered water
You can make this smoothie in the same way with the blueberry and cucumber smoothie recipe we talked above. Start by adding the liquid to the blender, followed by the soft fruit, and then the greens. Blend on high for 30 seconds or until the smoothie is creamy.
Parsley Lemon Smoothie
- 1 bunch of flat leaf parsley
- 1-2 lemons with the rind, pith & seeds removed
- 1-2 bananas
- 2 cups of water
Blend well in your blender on high for 30 seconds or until the smoothie is creamy.
Parsley and Mango Green Smoothie Recipe
- 1 cup parsley
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup water
Cut mangoes into small chunks or slices. Blend all ingredients on high until everything is smooth and creamy.