What we eat determines our health. This is why it is important to eat a well-balanced diet consisting of whole foods and plenty of fresh water each day. Doing so can lower your risks of developing cancer. Knowing the foods that provide cancer prevent also helps, which is why the guide below could be of use to you.
Whole Foods that Offer Cancer Preventative Properties
- Fiber Rich Foods: Whole foods rich in fiber are excellent for preventing cancer. Fiber is a necessarily the body needs to absorb and push toxins and waste out of it so it can function optimally. Foods rich in fiber are leafy greens, fruits, oatmeal, seeds, beans and lentils. When the body becomes full with toxins and waste, cancer-causing cells can attack and make you ill.
- Berries: Berries are potent in antioxidants that fight off free radical cells that start cancer. They also contain loads of fiber, which again is essential for keeping the body detoxified. Berries also provide energy to the body and help keep the immune system strong with all the vitamin C they contain.
- Beta Carotene Rich Foods: Eating your orange, peach and red colored fruits and vegetables such as squash, sweet potatoes, mangoes, peaches, cantaloupes, loquats and carrots go along way when it comes to preventing cancer from forming within the body. This is because they help the immune system stay strong while providing enzymes and antioxidants that delay cancer cells from attacking the body causing sickness.
- Sulfur Rich Foods: Foods rich in sulfur such as garlic, eggs, onions, brussels sprouts, walnuts, kale and asparagus provide cancer-preventing properties too. This is because the sulfur helps the body expel toxins that lead to cancer.
- Lycopene Foods: Lycopene is a potent antioxidant needed by the body to help inhibit the proliferation of cancer cells, keep the immune system strong and for reducing inflammation in the body. Foods rich in this antioxidant are tomatoes, watermelon, guava, red and pink grapefruits, red peppers, blood oranges, papaya and passion fruit.
- Vitamin C Packed Foods: Fruits and vegetables packed full of vitamin C are essential when it comes to cancer prevent. Some of the best fruits and vegetables that contain the most vitamin C in them are citrus fruits, kiwis, berries, leafy greens and tomatoes.
- Selenium Packed Foods: Selenium is a much needed mineral that helps the body create an antioxidant enzyme necessary for decreasing the growth of free radical cells that cause DNA damage. Foods packed with these essential nutrients are fish, nuts, poultry and eggs.
- Foods Rich in Folic Acid: Foods that contain folic acid such as leafy green herbs and salads can help delay cancer-causing gene cells within the body. The potent nutrients even help protect against DNA damage as well.
- Herbs and Spices: Herbs and spices are whole foods everyone needs to cook with because they can offer you a wide range of cancer preventing properties such as antioxidants, minerals and vitamins. Herbs and spices can even help protect DNA, fight off free radical cells and can reduce inflammation, which is a cause to cancer cells forming in the body. Some of the best cancer fighting spices and herbs to use are cinnamon, garlic powder, turmeric, cumin, ginger root, oregano, parsley and lemon balm.
A diet consisting of these whole foods is essential for keeping cancer away, but drinking plenty of fresh water and herbal teas helps too. When the body becomes dehydrated, it also causes waste to build up and wrack havoc within in you potentially increasing your risks of developing cancer. Exercise and plenty of fresh air also helps too.
For more natural health tips, read 5 Foods Rich in Healthy Bacteria that are Beneficial to the Gut and 10 Foods that Shouldn’t Be Refrigerated