Does the yummy, lip smacking taste of spicy fast food or sugary,fizzy cold drinks make you consume them more often than you should actually do? Fast food is not only high on empty calories but is also almost negligible as sources of nutrients. For a healthy and successful life for the future, we must make an investment into a healthy diet plan. A diet which has a proper mix of different nutrients is just right for us. A balanced diet combines the goodness of all essential nutrients — carbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins and minerals.
Let us look into the health benefits of fourteen foods which are not only great on nutrients, but also add a lot of taste and variety to our daily diet.
- Eggs:A large egg contains around 72 calories and is rich in protein and Vitamins A, D and E. A study by the American Heart Association has found that lutein present in the yolk of eggs help in preventing the onset of heart diseases.
- Celery: Often eaten as a healthy low calorie snack, celery is a super food which has proved to be useful in preventing cancer. A rich source of antioxidants and Vitamins A, K. C and folate. The journal of Medicinal food had published a study which showed that celery seeds can help in preventing high blood pressure.
- Mushrooms: Nature’s super food, mushrooms are low on fat and calories and provide more nutrients than most other foods. Rich in antioxidants, several vitamins and nutrients like folate, iron, selenium, etc, mushrooms are good for the heart and skin and help in preventing cancer, while boosting immunity.
- Milk: Usually cited as a complete food, milk is indeed, full of all essential nutrients, vitamins and minerals. A good source of protein and calcium, eggs help in building muscles and bones and are good for the skin, hair and teeth.
- Yogurt: Yogurt not only contains the goodness of milk, but also has probiotic bacteria which help in boosting immunity. A calcium and protein rich food, yoghurt can also help in shedding fats.
- Carrots: Carrots are a great health food and are rich sources of Vitamin A, which is essential for good eyesight. An antioxidant called beta carotene gives the orange-red color to carrots and it helps in preventing different types of cancers.
- Legumes: Legumes which include peas, beans, sprouts and lentils are low on calories or fats but make you feel full, which help in avoiding hunger pangs. They are rich sources of complex carbohydrates, fiber and proteins and are also helpful in controlling blood sugar.
- Kale: One of the healthiest super foods on the planet, kale is a rich source of the Vitamins K, A and C. It is also a very good source of essential minerals like copper, iron, potassium and manganese. Kale has anti cancerous properties and help in retaining healthy eyesight.
- Almonds and Walnuts: Walnuts and almonds belong to the healthy nut family and offer many health benefits. They are heart healthy and help in preventing diabetes. They are great for the skin and boost our energy levels and immunity.
- Fish: Apart from providing us with healthy Omega 3 fatty acids, the oils found in fish are very good for the skin. Including healthy fish like salmon or sardines in our diet decreases our risks of heart diseases, arthritis and obesity.
- Bananas: Bananas are a great way to add variety and taste to a bowl of cornflakes or a dessert. They add fibre to our diet and give us an instant boost of energy. They are low in calories, help reduce depression and are good for lowering high blood pressure.
- Green or black tea: Tea is not just a refreshing drink which drives off our drowsy feeling. Tea contains bioflavonoids and antioxidants which help in boosting immunity while preventing heart diseases, cancer and tooth decay.
- Oats: A bowl of oats at breakfast is a great way to add fibre to our diet, without cutting out the taste. Oats assist in digestion and add a lot of nutrients which help lower cholesterol levels and reduce risks of heart ailments.
- Blueberries: A natural brain food, blueberries are full of nutrients and antioxidants. Blueberries act as anti ageing agents, boost brain health and help keep the eyes healthy. As they contain antioxidants like proanthocyanidins, they are also useful as cancer fighters in the body.
After reading through this list, have you decided which super foods you’re going to eat tonight?