Allergies seem to be getting more and more common these days, and when the sneezing and itchy, watery eyes begin, people tend to blame the usual suspects: pollen from weeds, trees and grasses. While those can definitely spark an allergic reaction, it is probably good to look a little closer to home for triggers as well. Below are the top ten.
While this compound is what gives lemons and limes their distinctive, zesty flavor, it can also give people rashes, cause the eyes to water and provoke a feeling of burning in the nose. People who have this sensitivity should not consume or even touch foods containing this compound.
This is a common home allergen, with nearly 15% of the population being affected by it. Dust mites can live throughout the house in mattresses, stuffed toys and pillow cases for instance. Frequent washing with very hot water can help ease the situation.
People who already suffer from nasal allergies can irritate their sinuses even further with the odor or smoke from candles. It is recommended that candles be avoided altogether and if a scent around the home is desired, to use an infuser with natural essential oils.
Most perfumes are made up of literally hundreds of chemicals, which can trigger sinus congestion, headaches and runny noses in people who are sensitive. Choosing unscented soaps, shampoos and lotions is better if someone has this sensitivity.
These are common chemical additives in many soap and detergent products and are used to help with texture, but they are also likely to cause allergic reactions. Look for products that are labelled “organic” or “phthalate free” to avoid this.
Even when constantly cleaned, carpets are a harbor for dust, dust mites, pet hair and other allergens. Consider removing wall to wall carpeting and going with bare wood floors in combination with small area rugs instead.
While they are great to add flavor to home-cooked meals, spices can also cause skin irritation and sometimes swelling of the lips and a burning sensation in the mouth. Avoiding spices or figuring out through trial and error which particular spices are a problem is recommended.
Chemicals in household paints including solvents and resins can cause symptoms like itchy, watery eyes and even headaches. Keeping the house well-ventilated during and for up to four weeks after painting will help clear these chemicals out.
What generally triggers an allergy attack is not the alcohol itself but the grains (such as barley or wheat) or additives (including sulfur dioxide, a preservative). If reactions occurs, consider buying sulfide free wines or simply going with nonalcoholic drinks instead.
Blue Jean Buttons
The nickel used to make blue jean buttons can lead to rashes or blisters on the waistline in sensitive people. Consider replacing these buttons with zippers or alternatively, coating the buttons with clear nail polish.
Allergies are a more complicated matter than most people realize and unfortunately there are as many allergy triggers inside the home as outside it. Following some of these basic precautions, however, can greatly reduce the chances of allergy flare-ups.
More From Mayimina