We are in the middle of cold and flu season now! These winter conditions, and the fact that we spend more time indoors, are the perfect breeding time for viruses and bacteria. So if you are feeling sick or starting to feel sick, this homemade herbal decongestant may be just the thing you are looking for to tackle a stuffy nose and reduce mucus production.
- ¼ cup raw apple cider vinegar (ACV)
- ¼ cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 3 tablespoons raw organic honey
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- Bring the lemon juice and ACV to a gentle simmer.
- Stir in, one by one, the cayenne pepper, turmeric, ginger powder, and raw honey.
- Store in an airtight jar in a cool dark place or in your fridge.
How To Use
Shake before use. Take 1 to 2 tablespoons as needed. Can be used for children as well, but they should only take 1 tablespoon (or 15 ml) once a day.
Why These Ingredients?
ACV helps to thin out mucus to make it easier to drain out the congestion.
Lemon juice helps with congestion, has antimicrobial properties, and makes the whole thing go down a little easier.
Cayenne, honey, ginger and turmeric all work as a natural expectorant to help loosen mucus and phlegm. They have antibacterial and antiviral properties, and are packed with healing nutrients to clear congestion and relieve pressure and inflammation.
Don’t forget to download my FREE green smoothie eBook to sneak more healing foods into your diet or connect with me on Facebook or Google+ for more healthy tips, tricks, and recipes.