Approximately one-third of Americans seek alternative forms of medical treatments. Two studies found that fish oil, probiotics, melatonin, deep breathing, chiropractic care and yoga were among the top choices of alternative medicine that help Americans feel better.
One-third of Americans are using alternative medicine such as fish oil, probiotics, melatonin, deep breathing, chiropractic care and yoga!
Research is also showing that this trend continues when seeking treatment for chronic illnesses such as cancer. A study found that cancer patients under the age of 65 will look beyond conventional medicine to help ease symptoms or side effects of traditional treatment.
The following 6 plants and herbs have been scientifically proven to help the body fight and prevent cancer.
Six plants and herbs with cancer fighting properties!
- Quercetin: Quercetin is found in citrus fruits, apples, onions, and dark berries such as blueberries, blackberries, and bilberries. Its what gives fruits and vegetables their color and is an antioxidant that is able to rid the body of free radical destroyers that cause cellular death and impact the bodies DNA. Quercetin has also been found to support healthy cholesterol and has antihistamine and anti-inflammatory affects.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is often used in Asian dishes and is part of the finer family. It is anti-inflammatory and studies show that it can help stop faulty cellular division. Cancer rates have been found to be lower in countries with high consumption of turmeric.
- Astragalus: Astragalus helps boost the immune system and helps detect rogue cells so the immune system can destroy them. A study found that Astragalus created higher quantities of interferon and leukocytes in the blood stream.
- Scutellaria barbata: Scutellaria barbata is a potent herb rich in flavonoid, wogonin, and other phytochemicals. Studies have shown that nine different extracts from the plant produced significant results at stopping rogue cells from spreading into the breast, prostate and brain cells. Using higher doses for longer periods of time increased the amount of these rogue cells that were killed. When four of the extracts were combined, the study found that they blocked unwanted cellular growth and division in the brain by 50 percent.
- DIM or 3, 3’-Di-Indolylmethane: DIM is a byproduct of cruciferous vegetables. As you hit middle age, the importance of eating more cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, rutabaga, turnips, boo chop and Brussels sprouts increases. Middle age causes both men and women to experience a hormone and metabolic change. Men and women both become estrogen dominant. DIM can protect against estrogen imbalance and help protect against mutations and abnormal growths associated with estrogen imbalance.
- Medicinal Mushrooms: Medicinal mushrooms are known fro their potent health support. Mushrooms can help boost your immune system on a long term basis. The following three mushrooms have been found to support breast health: Coriolus versicolor, Reishi, and Phellinus linteus.
Whether you are currently fighting a chronic illness or are seeking to prevent chronic illness, don’t overlook plants and their value and purpose they have to our health and well-being.