The walls of your stomach are lined with a layer of cells called the ‘mucosa’. This mucosa is important as it prevents stomach acids from damaging the stomach walls. But, inflammation and infection can destroy this mucosa. The result is a condition named as ‘gastritis’.
If you’ve gastritis, you may have some or most of the following symptoms1:
- Pain in the upper part of the abdomen
- Nausea and vomiting
- Upset stomach
- Feeling of fullness
Before going to a doctor, you may want to try some home remedies for gastritis. Here are the top 4 home remedies that are effective and scientifically proven to work. So let’s get to it!
- Ginger Protects against H.pylori induced Gastritis
One of the main causes for gastritis is infection due by a bacterium called H.pylori. Research shows that ginger can inhibit H.pylori growth2 without significant side effects. Ginger is loaded with antioxidants and chemicals that sooth your stomach walls and inhibits H.pylori growth. It also provides relief from nausea, vomiting and fullness.
Here are some ways you can use ginger:
- Heat a cup of water over stove till it boils. Now add 1 teaspoon of freshly cut ginger in it. You can also add honey in it to improve its taste. You should drink this elixir once after each meal.
- If you can tolerate its taste, you can chew it raw, early in the morning.
- The ‘good bacteria’ in yogurt provides protection against H.pylori gastritis
You may like eating yoghurt already, but here is a reason for you to love it even more! Yoghurt protects you against H.pylori gastritis. Yes, that’s true and research backs it too. Results of a Swiss study3 found that eating probiotic products, including yoghurt, protects against H.pylori gastritis.
Yoghurt is loaded with ‘good bacteria’, also known as probiotics. These probiotics help maintain a healthy environment in your gut and prevent the growth of disease causing bacteria.
All you need to do is eat one cup of yoghurt in your breakfast. That’s very much it!
- Peppermint soothes the stomach lining
Peppermint is quite popular due to its anti-spasmodic abilities. But, there is more to it than saving you from bad breath. It saves your stomach from excess inflammation and damage inflicted by H.pylori.
Here is how you can control gastritis using peppermint:
- Chew on peppermint leaves whenever you get heartburn. Or you can add these leaves to your meals or salads.
- Another way is it to eat 1 or 2 peppermint tablets. You can get these tablets from an herbalist or an online vendor.
- Fennel Seeds decrease pain and sooth the stomach
These seeds have long been in use due to their ability to cleanse the gut. They provide relief4 from colic, indigestion, fullness, vomiting and other symptoms of gastritis.
Here is how you can use fennel seeds:
- Fennel seeds have a good but somewhat overpowering taste. If you can tolerate their taste then you can chew on few fennel seeds after meals.
- Another effective way is to make an herbal tea using these seeds. Just add a couple of these seeds into boiling water and stir it. You can also add honey to make it taste better.
When to see a doctor?
Be sure to see a doctor in following instances:
- If none of the over-the-counter ways are working.
- If you’re losing weight.
- You’re becoming pale and lethargic.
In fact, gastritis is a painful condition. You can use the above mentioned home remedies to keep the symptoms under control!