We’ve all used them before. You go to a restaurant and eat something like ribs or lobster and end up covered in sauce or butter. It’s nice to have something with a little wetness to it to try and get some of the goo off. The thing is? It isn’t water. It isn’t even rubbing alcohol anymore.
Everyone has become so obsessed with everything being antimicrobial and germ free that we have replaced the natural with purely chemical.
It may smell lemony fresh – but what are you really wiping all over your skin? It isn’t lemons. Your skin is the largest organ in your body and absorbs whatever you wipe, rub or apply on it.
Here is a common list of the most used ingredients and what the potential hazards are:
Fragrance – This could literally be anything. There is no regulation in the fragrance industry. A lot of what is used is toxic and often includes hormone disruptors.
Benzethonium Chloride – This substance is toxic to mucous membranes. Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce targeted organs damage.
DMDM Hydantoin – (Formaldehyde Releaser) known to cause cancer, Allergies, and immunotoxicity, Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs).
Methylparaben – Known to cause biochemical or cellular level changes, Endocrine disruption, Allergies, and Immunotoxicity.
Polysorbate-20 – Contamination concerns (Ethylene Oxide, 1,4-Dioxane) Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive).
Tocopheryl Acetate – (Hydroquinone) Cancer, Ecotoxicology, Allergies/immunotoxicity.
Maleic Acid – Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive).
Even more scary than using these chemicals on your hands? These are the very same ingredients in many popular baby wipes. Your baby’s organs and body are still forming. These chemicals can be incredibly harmful to their health especially when used repeatedly on a daily basis.
The American Medical Association discourages the use of antibacterial agents in consumer products because they may encourage the development of “superbugs” and antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
So what should you do?
Step away from the prepackaged chemical products.
Good old-fashioned soap and water (non-antibacterial). If you really feel the need to use these sanitizers, choose one that is just rubbing alcohol – usually found in the medical department with bandaids, or use essential oils – they are naturally antiviral and antibacterial without all of the dangerous chemicals.
The best non toxic products I came across were: