Unfortunately the manufacturers of laundry detergents, fabric softeners, and dryer sheets don’t have to actually tell us what ingredients they use and what we’re inevitably absorbing through our skin and lungs. I’ll give you a quick easy laundry detergent recipe tomorrow, but first here are the seven most common chemicals in dryer sheets and how they may be affecting you according to author of The Brain Wash…
1. Alpha-Terpineol causes central nervous system disorders. Can also cause loss of muscular coordination, central nervous system depression, and headache.
2. Benzyl Alcohol causes central nervous system disorders, headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, central nervous system depression, and, in severe cases, death.
3. Camphor on the US EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. Central nervous system stimulant, causes dizziness, confusion, nausea, twitching muscles, and convulsions.
4. Chloroform on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. Neurotoxin and carcinogen.
5. Ethyl Acetate on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. Narcotic. May cause headaches and narcosis (stupor).
6. Linalool causes central nervous system disorders. Narcotic. In studies of animals, it caused ataxic gait (loss of muscular coordination), reduced spontaneous motor activity, and depression.
7. Pentane causes headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness, and loss of consciousness. Repeated inhalation of vapors causes central nervous system depression.
This list didn’t even mention fragrances which we all know (hopefully) are known carcinogens causing cancer and liver damage in mammals. Don’t even get me started on “air fresheners.”
Wool felted dryer balls are a safe alternative that will reduce drying time (some say by 40%), replace toxins, and are just a one time investment.
All you need are 1 pair of pantyhose and 2 skeins of 100% Wool Yarn Organic.
Take the end of your yarn and wrap it around your index and middle finger about 10 times. Remove from your fingers and wrap 3 times around the middle. It will look like a bow.
Keep wrapping tightly making a ball shape until you reach tennis ball size. Cut the yarn and tuck into the center of the ball.
Repeat until you have 6 balls.
Place one ball in the bottom of your pantyhose and tie a knot right above it to secure in place. Repeat until all are secure.
Wash and dry on the hottest setting to fuse the yarn together.
When they are completely dry, remove from pantyhose, add 2 or 3 drops of essential oils to each ball, and they’re ready to go. Hubby and I both love doTERRA lemongrass and just a few drops will last several loads. Bergamot and my new favorite Elevation are lovely too.
I’m thinking of selling these organic dryer balls, so if you’d like me to make you some let me know and I won’t charge you $42 like etsy. Or make your own, but please at least stop spending money and supporting the companies that are giving cancer to the under educated. Vote with your dollars! Who’s with me? Leave a comment below on you’re favorite way to reduce your toxic load…
The Brain Wash: A Powerful, All-Natural Program to Protect Your Brain Against Alzheimer’s, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Depression, Parkinson’s, and Other Diseases by Michelle Schoffro Cook
For more information about Emily Smith RN-BSN, Holistic Health Coach visit OrganicHolisticHealing.com