I did some research and learned that Homemade HCL abbreviation of Honey, coconut and lemon is perfect cough syrup and also boost our immune system.
Honey has powerful anti-viral and anti-microbial properties! In clinical studies, honey has shown to be just as effective in alleviating coughs as over the counter cough medicine. Honey is also known to help alleviate allergies. Taking a few teaspoons of local raw honey a day prior to pollen season can be effective in boosting your immunity to pollen!
Lemon juice is often used in home remedies for a good reason! It is known to help boost the immune system and also has antiviral and antibacterial properties. I personally like to drink lemon juice when I have a stuffy nose. It helps to clear my sinuses so I can breathe better.
Coconut oil is rich in antioxidants and contains lauric acid, which is anti-bacterial and anti-viral. Coconut oil can be used to help prevent colds by boosting the immune system. Once the cold is set in, coconut oil can help reduce the length of sickness and can be quite soothing when added to warm honey-lemon water or tea.
Mix these three ingredients together and you have yourself a super immune boosting syrup that will help alleviate coughs and sore throats!
Honey and Lemon Cough Syrup with Coconut Oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or 4 drops Young Living Essential Oils
- 1/4 cup local raw honey
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Mix all the ingredients together in a small saucepan and heat over low until coconut oil is melted.
- Take warm syrup by the spoonful as desired. You can also mix the syrup into hot water or tea.
- Once the syrup is cooled the coconut oil will harden. Gently warm the syrup up before using. Store in refrigerator for up to a month.