Health Benefits of Coconut Oil are being sung from the rooftops by food enthusiasts and health gurus alike. It is known to be a great energy and brain booster. I have read many lists circulating the internet with literally hundreds of uses and benefits of coconut oil from fascinating to down-right bizarre. I think the funniest one I have seen out there is that Virgin Coconut Oil is a great natural lubricant (just saying). The most exciting news I have heard so far is that it may help prevent Alzheimer’s, so just in case I’m eating it by the scoopful. My father suffered from this devastating disease and anything that might be a preventative measure is being added to my daily regimen. I’m including a list of what I personally have found to be tried and tested uses for Coconut Oil. Here’s 2 quick and easy recipes that are good for you but still satisfies that craving for something sweet!
Healthy Coconut Clusters
3/4 cup honey
1/3 cup coconut oil (melted)
1 Tbsp real vanilla extract
4 cups unsweetened flaked coconut
2/3 cups cocoa
1/2 tsp salt
Melt honey and coconut oil in the microwave and then stir. Add flaked coconut and mix. Add vanilla extract and stir. Add in the cocoa and salt and mix until everything is coated evenly. When all of the ingredients are well mixed then drop it by the spoonful onto a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place them in your freezer for at least 20 minutes, or until they are firm. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge if they last that long!
Emergency Peanut Butter Cups
2 Tbs Peanut Butter
1 tsp coconut oil
2 Tbsp Chocolate (preferably dark)
I literally just scooped some all natural peanut butter onto a sturdy paper plate in 4 globs. Then melted the coconut oil and chocolate in a little glass bowl in the microwave. Spoon chocolate mixture over the peanut butter globs and put in freezer. Try to wait until it hardens and then enjoy! Protein from the peanut butter and energy from the coconut – you’ll be ready to face the world again.
My 10 Favorite Uses for Coconut Oil
- Cooking oil – get all those great health benefits replacing other oils with coconut oil (great in curry)
- Flea and itch relief for puppies and dogs – just place in a spray bottle with a cup of water, 1 Tbsp of Coconut oil and a couple drops of tea tree oil and your dog’s coat will shine, be soothed from itching as well as repel fleas/ticks
- Lip Balm – just smooth it on and pucker up
- All natural eye makeup remover
- Athletes foot – rub it on and place socks on to let it work its magic
- Homemade Whitening Toothpaste (see recipe below)
- Healthy Coconut Clusters or Peanut Butter Cups(see recipes above)
- Energy Blast Snack: 1 Tbsp Peanut Butter, 1 tsp Coconut Oil, 1 tsp Chia seeds on Celery Stick
- As an anti-inflammatory – rub onto any area where you have pain due to inflammation
- Natural deodorant – rub small amount of oil under arms (can add baking powder if desired)
Whitening Toothpaste Recipe: 2 tsp of Calcium Powder, 1/2 tsp Baking Soda, 1 tsp Xylitol Powder, 1 drop essential oil of pure spearmint (or other flavor) and add Coconut Oil until you get the desired texture (approximately 1- 2 tsps).
PS My personal favorite brand of Coconut Oil is Tropical Treasures because they have a great story and provide a very pure and healthy product. You can find them at http://www.bit.ly/bestcoconut