Pregnancy along with it brings a lot of complexities. The pleasure of being a mother comes with various kinds of pains as well. Lower back pain during early pregnancy is one such kind of pain. Lower back pain or lumbar pain occurs in the area of the lumbar vertebrae in the lower back. You feel it over and around your spine approximately at the level of your waist. You might also experience pain in your legs gradually.
Causes of Lower Back Pain during Early Pregnancy:
The main cause of lower back pain during pregnancy is an expansion of your uterus. It shifts your centre of gravity, stretches out and makes the abdominal muscles weak, which puts a lot of pressure on your back.
Here are few more causes for lower back pain during early pregnancy:
Additional Weight: As you are carrying additional weight during pregnancy, it creates pressure on the muscles, and joints which leads to lower back pain.
Loosening of Your Joints and the Ligaments: Due to hormonal changes, the joints and the ligament become lose leading to lower back pain.
Increased Physical Stress: The physical stress in many a times becomes the reason behind the lower back pain. If you stand for a longer period of time or lift any heavy objects then your back pain might get worse and intense.
Change in the Center of Gravity of the Body: Since the body compensates for the changes in the pregnant woman’s center of gravity, there is an increase in the postural strain.
Symptoms of Lower Back Pain during Early Pregnancy
The symptoms of lower back pain during early pregnancy are easily noticeable.
- There is an incessant pain in the lower back.
- The pain escalates in magnitude and regularity.
- Sometimes you may experience that there is no sensation in your legs.
- The feeling of weakness is also a sign of lower back pain.
- Very little or no sensation in the area of genital, groin, bladder, buttocks and
- You might experience pain while peeing or during the bowel movement.
Exercises to Cure Lower Back Pain during Early Pregnancy
Exercising regularly in a particular way is one of the best ways that can be adopted to get rid of lower back pain during early pregnancy. There are a number of exercises to cure back pain during early pregnancy. But there are a few exercises, which specifically focus on curing lower back pain in early pregnancy.
Some of these exercises are listed below. Let us learn about each one of them in detail.
This is a passive exercise using little muscle effort. It can be performed by following the steps given below:
- Lie down on the ground keeping your feet on the ground and your knees bent.
- Focus on the neutral spine position and maintain the same while straightening one leg and lifting the heel slowly toward the ceiling.
- Support the back of your thigh with both of your hands.
- Hold on for 10 – 30 seconds and then repeat the same with the other leg.
- Repeat this activity 3 times.
- Using a wall straighten the leg while resting the leg muscles. You can also make the leg muscles static.
This activity is the most suitable exercise for the women during the early of pregnancy. Swimming invigorates the muscles in your lower back and the abdomen area.
These tilts involve stretching and rotating your pelvis, so that the strain on the lower back gets reduced. They include the following steps.
- You need to lie down on your back, bend your knees, and rest your feet upon the ground.
- Your hand should be positioned in the narrow, lumbar region of your back.
- Check whether there is any space in between the ground and your back.
- The lower side of the spine should be straightened across the ground, in order to eliminate the gap between the back area and the ground.
- Your buttocks need to be relaxed so as to confine your abdominals.
- These pelvic tilts could be easily performed in any of the normal positions: whether you lie down on your back, stand, crawl on your knees and palms or even when you are in a sitting posture.
Exercise Ball Bridges
This is an advanced stabilization exercise technique that introduces unpredictable movements that must be responded to (the movement of the ball).
- Lie down on the ground keeping both your feet propped up on the exercise ball with your legs straight and your arms relaxed to the sides.
- Focus on the neutral spine position and hold on to it while tightening the buttock muscle slowly to lift the buttocks 2 to 3 inches off the ground.
Kegels have always been of great help to women in order to strengthen the muscles of the pelvis, which might get affected and weakened due to physical activity, childbirth, surgery, etc. They can also be proven to be of extensive aid to reduce the lower back pain during early pregnancy.
- You need to practice pulling the muscles, which are present in the vaginal area to the upper side and towards the direction of your baby in order to exercise the pelvic ground muscles.
- Take care not to experience a tightening feeling in your abdominals, thighs or buttocks while you perform this exercise.
Arm and Leg Raises
These exercises involve the stretching up of both your arms and legs to enable them to be more flexible. You also need to rotate your body in accordance with the stretches. These stretches should be done by following the steps given below:
- Crouch down on your knees and hands with your spine erect perfectly.
- To sequentially neutralize your pelvis, you have to get on doing a nice pelvic tilt.
- Now, form up a straight line by lifting up your right arm and the left leg in concurrence with your spine.
- Rest in this posture for a while.
- Then, slowly try to bring down your leg and then your arm.
- Now, raise your opposite leg and arm alternatively.
- Perform the raises of the leg and arm separately, one at a time; in case you have any difficulty to balance yourself in this specific position.
These squats help in keeping your body in shape. These squats should be done by following the steps given below:
- Keep your shoulders, back and head in opposition to a wall and stand in that position.
- Your feet should be about 1- 2 feet far from the position of the wall.
- Flatten your lower back area into a wall and then lie down flatly (squat).
- Your knees should form an angle of 90 degrees.
- Keeping your buttocks and your back touching the wall, rise up slowly.
Tips on How to Cure Lower Back Pain during Early Pregnancy
- Try to keep your bottom tucked in and your shoulders back while standing up straight.
- Sit up straight and support your feet with a footstool, in order to prevent lumbar pain.
- You can also use a small pillow called a lumbar roll behind your lower back.
- Take frequent breaks while doing any slight back-bending activities.
- Soak in warm water, which will help you in relaxing all your sore muscles.
- Bend from knees and pick up things from a crouching position to reduce the stress on your back.
- Bend your legs at your knees and hips when you roll to the side. Use your arms to push yourself up as you hang your lower legs over the side of the bed, while getting up.
- Sleep on your side with one or both the knees bent and with a pillow between your legs.
- Use additional pillows for supporting your abdomen.
- Always wear comfortable flat-soled footwear and stop wearing high-heeled shoes.
By performing the exercises mentioned above, you are definitely sure to get the desired results. All these exercises are known to provide immense relief from lower back pain during pregnancy. Try them out and share with us your experience.