Best Ever Cauliflower Pizza Crust
I’ve been in a bit of a slump lately as far as trying new recipes. Since we have 5 teenagers and my husband is gluten-free, it is not always easy to not just give in and make 2 completely different meals. But I’ve discovered an incredible new family favorite and I was completely shocked how much everyone loved this one. My advice to other moms out there is to not tell the kids the pizza crust is made out of cauliflower, they don’t need to know! My 15 year old thought I was kidding when I told him after he finished his 3rd piece.
There are many variations of this recipe floating around but here is how I made ours and it was delicious.
Best Ever Cauliflower Pizza Crust (serves 4 – Yields 2 small round pizzas)
1 head of cauliflower (I used 16 ozs of birdseye crumbled to make it fast and simple)
1 large egg, beaten
2 ½ cups of Mozzarella (1 ½ cups for the crust and 1 cup for the topping)
3 Tbsp of Shredded Parmesan Cheese
1 tsp fresh grated or crushed garlic (omit if you don’t love garlic)
1 pinch of fine sea salt
Nonstick olive oil cooking spray
1 jar of all natural pizza sauce
Toppings (we used green and red peppers, onions, olives and mushrooms)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees while you prepare the crust. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper (do not use tinfoil).
- Put the cauliflower in a food processor (I use our dry blender from the Vitamix) until it’s the consistency of rice. Spread the cauliflower over the parchment paper and bake in the preheated oven until it’s tender and starting to brown just a little around the edges. On my oven this was 12 minutes. Just keep an eye on it since ovens will vary.
- Put the cooked cauliflower into a large mixing bowl and add the beaten egg and the 1 1/2 cups of mozzarella cheese, the parmesan cheese, garlic and salt. Stir this all together with a fork until the mixture is blended. It will be sticky and a bit on the moist side.
- Now line the baking sheet again with fresh parchment paper and spray it with the olive oil. Scoop the cauliflower “dough” to the baking sheet into 2 circles of crusts. Use your hands or the back of a fork to form it. It should be spread out so that it is only about ¼ inch thick. Bake these 2 crusts at 425 until they are lightly browned all over and starting to turn dark brown around the edges. This should be approximately 7-10 minutes. Remove from the oven. Note: I made it into 2 little round pizzas so that I could put different toppings on each, you can also make it one large oval.
- Spread the pizza sauce over the cooked crust. Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella cheese on top and put on toppings of your choice. Bake until the cheese is melted and starting to brown, 5 to 7 minutes.
Let the pizzas cool for 5 minutes before serving. Bon Appetit!
About the Author: Sandy J. Duncan is a freelance writer, wellness coach and soccer mom. She and her husband have 5 teenagers so life is never dull. Her natural living blogs are 10TopHealthSecrets.com and AllNaturalHealthReviews.org.
Please share Best Ever Cauliflower Pizza Crust