Honey is a natural medicine that has been used since ancient times for it’s nutritional and topical healing power. (1)
Honey inhibits bacterial growth better than antibiotics and is an effective remedy for dental cavities and gingivitis!
Honey has wound-healing properties that are useful in treating gingivitis, bleeding gum, receding gums and even cavities.(1) A 2014 study found that honey worked better than antibiotics and inhibited the growth of all strains of bacteria. Bacterial were significantly reduced when using honey for toothpaste concluding that honey is an effective alternative remedy for dental cavities and gingivitis. (2)
When mixing honey with water, an enzyme in the honey produces antiseptic, hydrogen peroxide. Honey also contains antioxidant elements that act as antimicrobial agents. Other studies have found that honey stops the growth of plaque-forming bacteria and prevent the bacteria from producing polysaccharides, the adhesive that binds plaque to your teeth. (1)
When mixing honey with water, hydrogen peroxide is produced, which stops the growth of plaque-forming bacteria!
While honey has medicinal purposes dating back centuries, it is important in today’s market to consider using a raw honey that is not processed, pasteurized and filtered. Manuka Honey from New Zealand is well researched and best known for it’s medicinal uses. This honey has been found in studies to treat ulcers, diabetic sores and even gingivitis. (1)
To treat gingivitis, cavities, or receding gums, try these few simple recipes:
- Mix honey with water and use as a mouthwash several times a day. (1)
- Rub raw honey directly on the sore or bleeding gum. (1)
(Creative Christian Mama’s) Honey Toothpaste
- 1/2 cup olive oil (as the base)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (anti-viral and anti-inflammatory)
- 2 tablespoons coral calcium (to remineralize)
- 1 tablespoon powdered magnesium (to remineralize)
- 2 teaspoons Himalayan sea salt (to remineralize and polish off stains)
- 3 tablespoons raw honey* (anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory)
- 20 drops cinnamon essential oil (flavor and anti-bacterial)
- 20 drops peppermint essential oil (flavor and anti-bacterial)(3)
- Warm the oils and honey in a jar set in a bowl of warm water until coconut oil has melted.
- Add the minerals, salt and essential oils, then blend with an immersion blender until there are no lumps.
- Pour into a dark jar with a soap pump.
- Always shake well before using. (3)