As winter approaches, many people are searching for options to protect their skin from the elements. If you are conscientious of what you are putting in your body, it’s important to also be aware of what you are putting on your body. Many products on the market and laden with chemicals and preservatives that are absorbed into the bloodstream and wreak havoc on the body. (1)
Commercial skin care products can cause hormonal problems, irregular periods, infertility and even cancer
Commercial products typically contain chemical fragrances that can cause hormonal problems, irregular periods, infertility or cancer. Many of the products on the market contain hormone disruptors that can act like or affect the hormones inside the body. Over-exposure to these chemicals can turn genes on and off and increase the negative aspects of estrogen, causing your own hormones to stop working as they are supposed to. (2)
Many of the products that promise anti-aging benefits actually clog your pores, causing your skin to lose its natural ability to expel toxins, leading to acne or other signs of aging. Avoiding parabens, synthetic colors, fragrances, toluene, and Sodium Laurel Sulfate can help decrease allergies, respiratory distress, and kidney damage. (2)
Decrease allergies, respiratory distress, and kidney damage by making your own all natural skin care products
Making your own skin care products can be simple and inexpensive. Try utilizing the following products to protect and nourish your skin!(2)
- Coconut Oil: Coconut oil will strengthen underlying epidermal tissue, remove dead skin, protect from sunburns, is antibacterial, antiviral, anti-fungal and contains antioxidants. Coconut oil can be used to help cleanse, moisturize, heal wounds, prevent razor burns or as an all natural makeup remover! (2)
- Tea Tree Oil: Tea Tree oil is an anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, antimicrobial and anti-fungal. Tea Tree Oil is effective in fighting against acne, redness or inflammation on the skin. Tea Tree Oil should be used in combination with a carrier oil. (2)
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple Cider Vinegar can help kill pathogens and resolve skin problems. Combining apple cider vinegar and raw honey can help treat skin sores.(2)
- Raw Honey: Raw honey contains nutrients, enzymes, vitamins and skin-boosting acids that help reduce breakouts, provide moisture, encourage wounds to heal, fight rashes and reduce scars. (2)
- Sea Salt: Sea Salt is packed with magnesium, calcium, sodium and potassium. Using sea salts to make facial masks, toners or scrubs can help soothe skin, calm breakouts, remove dead skin cells, balance oil production and improve the skins ability to retain moisture.(2)
- Avocado: Avocado can help boost collagen production, treat age spots, and reduce inflammation. Whether you eat avocado or apply it topically, the results are the same. Add avocado to a face mask mixed with essential oils and honey to help soothe dry skin. (2)
- Lemon Essential Oil: Lemon essential oil can help diminish breakouts and can also be helpful in fading scars and age spots. Using this oil will improve your skins oil tone, fight wrinkles and brighten skin.(2)
- Argan Oil: Argan oil is rich in vitamin A, E, antioxidants, omega-6 fatty acids, and linoleum acid. Applying a small amount to your skin, twice daily, will help heal acne, eczema and psoriasis.(2)
- Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera is not only good for sunburns, but can help fight inflammation, redness and itching. (2)
- Jojoba Oil: Jojoba oil is very moisturizing and can help heal burns, sores, scars, dermatitis, acne, psoriasis and wrinkles. It also encourages hair growth and unclogs hair follicles.(2)
- Almond Oil: Almond oil not only smells great but is antiviral, antibacterial and has antiseptic properties. (2)
- Castor Oil: Castor Oil does an excellent job as a facial cleanser. Mixing a teaspoon of oil with 1/4 cup of coconut or almond oil with help remove toxins from the skin.(2)
- Shea Butter: Blending Shea butter with essential oils such as frankincense, eucalyptus or bergamot oil can help moisturize and treat the body from the outside in. Consider utilizing Shea butter and essential oils for an all natural lip balm. (2)
Frankincense oil found to kill cancer cell lines that don’t respond to chemotherapy!
Essential oils are wonderful ways to scent your homemade lotions or cleansers but also provide full body healing benefits. Utilizing frankincense oil in your homemade products may go a long way to protect your body from cancer. Research from the University of Leicester found that frankincense is a safe and effective remedy for ovarian cancer. The study found that cancer cell lines that don’t respond to chemotherapy are very responsive to frankincense oil. (3)
If you are seeking a holiday lotion that will not only smell great but offer great health benefits, consider the following recipe:
Homemade Lotion with Frankincense, Lavender & Peppermint Oils
- ¼ cup olive oil or other liquid oil
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoons beeswax
- 1 tablespoon shea butter
- 10 drops frankincense essential oil
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 5 drops peppermint essential oil
- Place the olive oil, shea butter, coconut oil and beeswax in a glass bowl in a pan with water (or you can use a double-boiler).
- Heat the ingredients, while stirring, and melt. Continue to stir until well blended.
- Remove from heat. Add the essential oil.
- Stir again until well blended.
- Allow it to cool and check the consistency. For a thinner, creamier consistency, use a hand mixer (or electric mixer) for one or two minutes.
- Place in your favorite container.
- Apply, as needed, to face and body, avoiding the eyes. (1)