Pink eye, also called conjunctivitis, is a health problem, in which there is an inflammation or infection of the membrane that is located in the outer layer of the eye as well as inside of the eyelid.
If you are suffering from pink eye, you will have to experience swelling, burning, redness and discharge of the eye.
Causes of Pink Eye
Most of pink eye cases are caused by virus and bacteria that can easily spread among people. Additionally, there are some other common causes leading to pink eye you should take into consideration such as:
- Chemical Exposure
- Contact lenses
Symptoms of Pink Eye
Redness is the most obvious sign of pink eye that you can notice. Also, the problem is accompanied with pain, blur vision, itchiness, sensitivity to light, tearing and so on.
Although there are numerous treatments of pink eye nowadays, you need to find out the causes as well as consult a doctor to completely eliminate the problem. Additionally, taking advantage of natural home remedies for pink eye is also a good idea to quickly alleviate the condition and accelerate healing.
Here are top 10 easy home remedies for pink eye you can take advantage to reduce the symptoms and improve the condition…
1. Warm Compress
As soon as you notice symptoms of pink eye, apply warm compress immediately. This is one of the easiest but most effective home remedies for pink eye you should follow. It will help you instantly reduce inflammation and redness of the eye.
- Dip a towel or a piece of clean cloth in hot water.
- Wring out the excess water.
- Apply the towel to your affected eyes for some minutes then remove.
- Do this a few times a day to improve the condition quickly.
The antibacterial, anti-inflammatory properties of garlic are so strong that they can cause you little burning sensation when being applied on sensitive skin. Accordingly, garlic can serve as an effective ingredient used in home remedies for pink eye.
- Get garlic juice by crushing some garlic cloves.
- You can choose applying directly garlic juice to your affected eye or diluting it in a little water before applying.
Owing to powerful antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, salt is able to alleviate the swelling, redness and other symptoms of pink eyes. As a result, it gains a place on the list of home remedies for pink eye.
- Dissolve 1-2 teaspoons of salt in clean water.
- Use the solution to wash your eyes several times a day until the condition improves.
Turmeric works brilliantly in home remedies for pink eye as it help fight against inflammation and reduce other symptoms. Into the bargain, turmeric is highly effective in slowing down aging process, limiting the appearance of aging signs such as wrinkles and age spots around eyes.
- Add 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder into a cup of hot water.
- Mix it well and leave it a few minutes to cool off.
- Soak a clean cloth in the mixture and apply to the affected eye for some minutes.
- Finally, remove and wash off with water.
Honey possesses a strong anti-inflammatory property that is essential for home remedies for pink eye. Specifically, the quality helps to reduce the swelling, redness and prevent further development of the condition.
- Add some honey into hot water and mix them well.
- Let it cool off before use the solution to wash your affected eyes.
- Do this a few times a day until the condition improves.
According to research, 96% of cucumber is water, which gives the vegetable an excellent soothing property. By applying cucumber as a home remedy for pink eye, you will soon get relief from the irritation and redness.
- Get a fresh cucumber and cut it into thin slices.
- Place some slices over your affected eyes and leave them there for some minutes.
- Finally, remove and wash off the eye.
Yogurt is not only simply a yummy dairy product but also a natural ingredient used to treat various health problems. In case of pink eye, it makes an ideal home remedies that can inhibit the development of bacteria and virus and reduce various symptoms.
- All you need to do is take some plain, unsweetened yogurt.
- Use a cotton ball to apply yogurt to your affected eye.
- Let it sit on for some minutes then rinse off your eye with water.
Milk is another dairy product that gives you so many health benefits such as strong immune system, healthy bones and teeth, and even treating diseases like pink eye. Specifically, the liquid will give you a quick relief from the irritation while enhancing immunity to fight back virus and bacteria.
- Simply apply plain milk over your affected eye.
- Simultaneously, drink at least 1 cup of milk every day to improve your immunity.
9. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is a favorite treatment of pink eye that many people would choose because of its simplicity and effectiveness. Furthermore, Aloe Vera is quite friendly to human skin so that it rarely causes allergies to people. However, if you are still worried, test it in a small area of your skin before directly apply to your eyes.
- Get the inner gel of an Aloe Vera leaf.
- Apply the gel to your affected eye and remember to close your eye before doing it.
- After some minutes, cleanse your eye with water.
10. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is beneficial for those who are suffering from pink eye as it has an ability to eliminate bacteria and virus instantly. Consequently, you will be free from the pain, irritation and redness.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar into water.
- Use a cotton ball to apply the solution over your eye.
- After some minutes, rinse off your eye with clean water.
More by Jenny Heth
- How to Get Rid of Hickeys – Top 10 Useful Tips
- How to Get Rid of Razor Burn – 10 Natural Handy Tips
- How to Get Rid of a Black Eye
- How to Get Rid of Puffy Eyes – Top 10 Handy Tips
- How to Get Rid of Double Chin – Top Pocket-friendly Treatments
- Home Remedies for Swollen Feet – Top 10 Handy Tips
- How to Grow Hair Faster – 10 Natural Treatments
- Home Remedies for Hair Loss – 15 Natural Treatments
- How to Get Water Out of Your Ear – Top 10 Effective Tips
- Home Remedies for Runny Nose – Top 10 Natural Treatments
- Home Remedies for Dry Hair – Top 15 Effective Treatments
- Home Remedies for Psoriasis – Top 14 Simple Treatments
- Home Remedies for Alopecia