Dandruff, or also called seborrheic dermatitis, is a common inflammation occurring on human skin. The condition is often accompanied with itchiness, plaques, and flaky, white or yellowish scales on the scalp. In a severe case, dandruff can cause mild redness and hair loss.
Besides the scalp, seboorheic dermatitis can appear on different part of the body such as eyebrows, eyelids, lips, nose, ears or chest.
The exact cause of dandruff is still unknown. However, there are several risk factors that can potentially trigger the condition of dandruff such as stress, weakened immunity, nutrient deficiency, oily skin, certain cosmetic products, obesity, bacteria and virus, neurologic conditions and so on.
Fortunately, there are numerous natural treatments you can use to safely and effectively deal with the condition.
Here are top 10 most effective home remedies for dandruff you should apply to easily get rid of annoying symptoms and improve your scalp…
In case of dandruff caused by bacteria or fungi, you can totally use garlic to eliminate the condition. This is due to powerful antifungal and antibacterial properties present in garlic.
- Take a garlic clove and crush. Use it to gently rub on your scalp. After a few minutes, wash off with clean water.
- Also, you can mix it with a little honey and use the mixture to massage your scalp for some minutes. This way will help you avoid garlic’s odor.
2. Olive Oil
Olive oil has been a great companion of women in treating and preventing skin and hair problems. Likewise, the list of home remedies for dandruff cannot be lack of this ingredient. Specifically, olive oil provides essential nutrients for your scalp to moisturize and improve your scalp, which in turn eradicates symptoms of dandruff.
- Warm up some olive oil.
- Use the oil to massage your scalp for a few minutes.
- Use clean water to rinse off your hair and scalp.
3. Aloe Vera
Since Aloe Vera is so well known for its amazing effect on the skin, not many people are aware of its benefit on the scalp and hair. In detail, the plant is rich in various essential nutrients such as Prostaglandins, B vitamins, folic acid and amino acid. As a result, the plant gains its place on the list of home remedies for dandruff.
- Get the inner gel from an Aloe Vera leaf.
- Use it to apply to your scalp for some minutes.
- Finally, wash off your scalp and hair with mild shampoo.
Lemon is another ingredient you should definitely use to make home remedies for dandruff. This is owing to the fact that the fruit is able to effectively combat symptoms of dandruff as well as restore the pH balance on the scalp.
- Take a lemon and squeeze its juice. Remember not to throw its peel away since we still need it.
- Use the lemon peel to gentle rub on your scalp.
- After a few minutes, rinse off your scalp with lemon juice mixed with some warm water. Keep massaging for a few more minutes.
- Finally, wash off with clean water.
5. Coconut Oil
Do not forget coconut oil, a versatile ingredient used to treat both health and beauty problems in human. Besides making a great home remedy for dandruff, coconut oil also strengthens your hair and promotes hair growth effectively.
- Warm up some coconut oil and use it to massage your scalp for some minutes. No need to use shampoo after that since coconut oil is excellent in cleansing your hair and providing moisture.
- Alternatively, add a few drops of lemon juice in coconut oil and use the solution to rub on your scalp. Wait for at least 1 hour before washing off.
Aside from incredible effect on dandruff, vinegar is inexpensive and available almost everywhere, which makes it a worthwhile ingredient on the list of home remedies for dandruff.
- Dilute some vinegar in water in the ratio of 1:3.
- Use the solution to apply on your scalp.
- Cover your hair and scalp with a shower cap and leave it overnight.
- In the next morning, wash off your hair with mild shampoo.
Onion has been well known as a great remedy for hair problems, including dandruff. Additionally, it can also help promote hair growth and improve your scalp. Therefore, make sure you do not miss this amazing ingredient when making home remedies for dandruff.
- Get the juice from onions and mix it with a little honey.
- Use the solution to rinse your scalp and wait for 30 minutes.
- Finally, wash off with clean water.
8. Baking Soda
Baking soda contains anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antifungal properties, which makes it an excellent ingredient you should use to make home remedies for dandruff. Furthermore, baking soda is also able to moisturize while keeping the balance of oil on the scalp.
- Mix a tablespoon of baking soda with a little water to get a fine paste.
- Apply the paste to your scalp and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Finally, wash off with mild shampoo.
9. Almond Oil
You must have seen a lot of hair products that use almond oil as their main ingredient. This is because almond oil is extremely beneficial for your hair and scalp. Accordingly, you should use this oil for your condition of dandruff.
- Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice in 4-5 tablespoons of almond oil.
- After rinsing your hair, apply the mixture and gentle rub over your scalp.
- Leave it for 10 minute while covering your hair with a towel or a plastic cap.
- Rinse off your hair with tepid water.
10. Tea Tree Oil
The last but the most powerful ingredient on the list of home remedies for dandruff is tea tree oil. Since the properties of the oil are so strong that you should always dilute it before using.
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil in your shampoo.
- Use it to wash your hair as normal.
- Do this 3 times a week to quickly get rid of the condition.
More by Jenny Heth
- Home Remedies for Headache – Top 10 Handy Tips
- Home Remedies for Sore Throat – 10 Useful Tips
- How to Get Rid of Razor Burn – 10 Natural Handy Tips
- Home Remedies for Psoriasis – Top 14 Simple Treatments
- How to Get Rid of Puffy Eyes – Top 10 Handy Tips
- How to Get Rid of Double Chin – Top Pocket-friendly Treatments
- Home Remedies for Swollen Feet – Top 10 Handy Tips
- How to Grow Hair Faster – 10 Natural Treatments
- Home Remedies for Hair Loss – 15 Natural Treatments
- How to Get Water Out of Your Ear – Top 10 Effective Tips
- Home Remedies for Runny Nose – Top 10 Natural Treatments
- Home Remedies for Dry Hair – Top 15 Effective Treatments
- How to Get Rid of a Black Eye