What are Canker Sores?
Canker sores are described as round, open and small sores in your mouth. Additionally, the sores are accompanied with pain and irritation. Canker sores are usually grey or white and have a red edge.
It should be noted that canker sores are not cold sores and they have no involvement with cancer.
Causes of Canker Sores
The main causes of cancer sores include:
- Viral infection
- Nutrient deficiency
- Food allergies
- Hormonal changes
- Mouth injury
- Weakened immune system
Normally, canker sores will disappear after 7-10 days. In some cases, it takes longer to heal, which is 1-3 weeks. To accelerate the healing without any worries about adverse effects, you can make use of natural ingredients in your house.
Here are top 10 must-know home remedies for canker sores that you should take note to prepare for yourself…
1. Aloe Vera
According to experts, Aloe Vera possesses anti-swollen and anti-inflammatory properties, so it is really useful in home remedies for canker sores.
- Use the inner gel of Aloe Vera to apply directly to the affected skin. After a few minutes, rinse off the area with water.
- Remove the Aloe Vera peel and grind it. After mixing it with a little water, you will get a paste that can be applied to the affected skin. Let it sit on for some minutes before you remove and cleanse the area.
Fenugreek is one of great home remedies for canker sores that are highly valued for its effectiveness, simplicity and availability. Besides canker sore, fenugreek is also used in other treatments of health problems such as toothache, scald, etc.
- Add a tablespoon of fenugreek seeds in water then boil. After that, remove the seeds and let the liquid cools off.
- Use the liquid to swish your mouth and hold it for 5 minutes.
- Finally, spit it out and rinse off with clean water.
3. Cactus Juice
Cactus juice is another solution used to cleanse the affected area. With powerful anti-inflammatory property, cactus juice helps inhibit the development of the sores and facilitate the healing.
- Simply use cactus juice to swish your mouth.
- Hold it for a few minutes before spiting it out.
Chamomile has been long used as a miracle herb that can curb numerous health conditions such as constipation, insomnia, allergies, etc. Also, the herb can make an excellent home remedy for canker sores. With the antibacterial and anti-inflammatory, chamomile is able to ease the pain and speed up the healing.
- Dip a chamomile tea bag in a cup of boiling water.
- After a few minutes, remove the bag and let it cool off.
- Use a tea bag to gently rub on your infected area.
5. Baking Soda
Baking soda is an inevitable ingredient on the list of home remedies for canker sores. The ingredient has been found with anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antifungal properties, which makes it an excellent solution used to alleviate the pain and other symptoms.
- Mix some baking soda with tepid water.
- Use the solution to gargle your mouth.
- Hold it for some minutes then spit it out.
6. Clove Oil
Clove oil has been confirmed to possess an amazing ability to deal with inflammation and infection. Furthermore, it can also alleviate the pain and reduce irritation. Accordingly, you should not skip this ingredient on the list of home remedies for canker sores.
- Mix a few drops of clove oil with half a teaspoon of olive oil together.
- Use a cotton swab or clean towel to apply the mixture to the affected area.
- Finally, wash off the area with clean water after a few minutes.
It is so familiar to use honey for treatments of health problems, including canker sores. The ingredient contains anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and soothing properties that can ease your pain, irritation and especially speed up healing.
- After rinsing off the affected skin and letting it dry naturally, use organic honey to directly apply to it and leave it for some minutes.
- Finally rinse off again with water.
8. Coconut Milk
The next home remedy for canker sores is made of coconut milk, which contains antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that can help you effectively with the condition. By using coconut milk, you can quickly reduce the pain and speed up the healing.
- Grind some coconut meat and mix it with coconut water.
- Use the solution to wash the affected area daily.
9. Coconut Oil
If you do not want to spend much time with coconut milk, try coconut oil instead. The oil possesses antifungal, anti-inflammatory and anti-swollen qualities that are extremely beneficial for the condition.
- Warm up some coconut oil and let it cool down a little bit.
- Apply the oil to your affected area with a cotton swab.
- After a few minutes, rinse of your mouth with clean water.
10. Tea Tree Oil
Last but not least, tea tree oil is among the most powerful ingredient used to prevent and treat inflammation. By applying the oil, you can reduce the swelling, irritation, pain and other discomforts caused by canker sores.
- Because the essential oil is too strong, you should dilute some drops of it with other carrier oil such as coconut oil or olive oil. Use the mixture to apply to the affected skin.
- After a few minutes, rinse off the area with tepid water.
More by Jenny Heth
- Home Remedies for Headache – Top 10 Handy Tips
- Home Remedies for Sore Throat – 10 Useful Tips
- How to Get Rid of Razor Burn – 10 Natural Handy Tips
- Home Remedies for Psoriasis – Top 14 Simple Treatments
- How to Get Rid of Puffy Eyes – Top 10 Handy Tips
- How to Get Rid of Double Chin – Top Pocket-friendly Treatments
- Home Remedies for Swollen Feet – Top 10 Handy Tips
- How to Grow Hair Faster – 10 Natural Treatments
- Home Remedies for Hair Loss – 15 Natural Treatments
- How to Get Water Out of Your Ear – Top 10 Effective Tips
- Home Remedies for Runny Nose – Top 10 Natural Treatments
- Home Remedies for Dry Hair – Top 15 Effective Treatments
- How to Get Rid of a Black Eye