Vitality is… “physical or mental vigor; power of enduring…” Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary.
You’ve worked all day, but for you, your day is not over, it’s just beginning: the kids want you to go for a bike ride; your spouse wants to go out; friends are calling you to go shoot some hoops, but all you want to do is plop on the couch and snooze. But your day doesn’t have to end like this. The following are a few easy tips to help you get some of that joie du vivre or vitality again.
• Eat foods specific for the male system such as good quality chicken and fish for protein; dark green leafy vegetables like kale, parsley and spinach. They’re high in vitamins, minerals and fiber. Use them in smoothies, salads, or an omelet. Eat squash – it’s high in zinc, which is excellent for the prostate. Eat fruit for snacks instead of chips or pretzels. Pumpkin seeds are high in zinc as well. Sesame seeds are a great source for calcium, which supports the nervous system – it’s calming and will help you to deal with stress a little easier. Yoghurt for digestion. Taking care of your digestive track means the nutrients you are consuming can get to the rest of your body. Eat unsweetened yoghurt, preferably Greek. You can add a little honey or maple syrup if you need sweetening.
• I can’t emphasize this enough, but avoid, or at the very least, reduce sugar and artificial sweeteners. Eating a candy bar or drinking a soda might give you a quick boost, but 20 minutes later, you need a nap. There’s the obvious sugar intake like adding excessive amounts in your iced tea, or eating way too much ice cream, but consider your breakfast cereal hot or cold or your sandwich bread or jar of spaghetti sauce.
• Move your body! Energy begets energy. Exercise can be as gentle as walking or yoga to vigorous as football. You’ll start to feel good and look great!
• Many people get sleepy mid-afternoon. Merely drinking a glass of water, within ten minutes, one can feel perky. Think of yourself as a wilted plant, add water and voila!
• Fall in love or fall in love all over again. Fall in love with your kids, your wife. Fall in love with your job – if you can’t, then find one thing about your job that makes you smile you just might begin enjoying work again. Love and you will be loved! How energizing is that? Before you know it, not only will you wake up energized, but crashing on the couch after work will be a distant memory. Those around you will benefit, too. You’ll feel and look vibrant!
Happy Father’s Day to all you Dads out there! Feel great and live a full and happy life!
Mariluz is a board certified health coach. She works with single fathers and their children to make healthier food and life-style choices to improve their health and create a more balanced home life; she also works with stressed and anxious individuals. When Mariluz isn’t working, she’s in the kitchen blending herbs for tea, cooking a meal with loved ones, or making aromatherapy products. She is passionate about empowering people to make healthier food choices and reducing toxins and chemicals in their bodies and their homes; she promotes using natural products. Visit her website at www.wholistichealthwithmariluz.com, sign up for her monthly newsletter or Free 10 Day Junk Food Cleanse.