Turmeric milk, also known as golden milk, is an ancient health beverage, which is recently rising in popularity in different parts of the globe.
As part of traditional Indian Ayurveda medicine, this drink is known to provide all kinds of health benefits to those who consume it on a regular basis.
You will be pleasantly surprised that you can create this powerful tonic at the comfort of your home, and you can finish it up within a few minutes. This dairy-free turmeric milk recipe will help you reach the peak of your health in no time.
The Benefits of Turmeric Milk
The health benefits of drinking turmeric milk mainly come from the ability to reduce inflammation. Reducing excess inflammation has shown to be very beneficial in treating a broad range of diseases such as heart disease, cancer, metabolic syndrome, Alzheimer’s and various degenerative conditions
Adding dark pepper into the mix aids in the absorption of curcumin, allowing for faster and more potent effect. Ginger helps in improving digestive function while also providing a calming effect. Adding other ingredients, such as cinnamon and nuts, will further add to the nutritional value of this powerful tonic.
Turmeric Milk Recipe
- 2 cups almond milk or cashew milk
- 1 teaspoons ground or grated turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- Pinch ground pepper or 4 whole peppercorns
- 1/2 tablespoon virgin coconut oil or almond oil
- 1-2 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- Raw honey or quality maple syrup, to taste (optional)
- Heat the almond milk or cashew milk in a saucepan over low heat for 2-3 minutes. Once the milk is warm, add the turmeric, ginger, pepper, and cardamom.
- Let the mixture simmer for 5 minutes, so that all the flavors and nutritional benefits of the spices will be adequately infused into the milk.
- Remove from heat and place it in a strainer to remove the solid ingredients from the milk.
- Add coconut oil and your choice of sweetener according to your taste. Drink immediately after preparing as this drink is best served hot.
This recipe is good for 2 servings, so feel free to adjust the recipe depending on the specific number of people you will serve this recipe to.
Some Suggestions for the Recipe
The proportion of ingredients used in this turmeric milk recipe is the universally approved one and used in most cookbooks. Of course, you are free to experiment with this recipe to suit your taste.
You can add or reduce some of the ingredients to get the flavor you want. You can also add other healthy ingredients, such as vanilla and cinnamon to improve this recipe’s aroma, taste, and potency.
Also, the sweeteners chosen here are picked for their health benefits, avoid using regular sugar as it may cause chronic inflammation.
Sources: NCBI, VegKitchen and Nutrition Stripped
Don’t forget to download my FREE Book “Amy’s Home Kitchen”, packed with my family’s favorite healthy, clean and delicious recipes. Or connect with me on Facebook or Google+
Oh and if you are looking for a way to live a healthy lifestyle while eating delicious, colorful meals and losing or maintaining weight, click here