Originated in Egypt, okra becomes as the favorite dish to many people all over the world nowadays. It can be cooked with other vegetables in many ways and if you eat this vegetable regularly, you will notice it’s full of health benefits.
Firstly, you should know some facts of okra:
- Okra is rich in fiber, which is very beneficial for the body. Such fiber is essential for maintaining a healthy cholesterol levels, aiding in good digestion and stabilizing the blood sugar levels;
- Okra will ensure you have a healthy pregnancy as it contains a good amount of B vitamins, which are important for promoting a healthy pregnancy. Besides, the folate in okra help reduce the neural tube defects in a newborn baby to help the baby develop normally;
- Polysaccharides present in okra have a good stimulating effect on the body, which will improve your brain function;
- Not only rich in fiber, okra is also very low in calories. There are only 30 calories every 100g, makes it a good option for a weight loss diet;
- Okra is also a good source of lots of essential minerals, including calcium, iron magnesium and manganese.
The benefits of okra are endless, if you still not plan to make it part of your diet from now on, you will after knowing these studies. See what will happen in your body when you eat okra:
Okra helps with kidney disease
A 2005 study (1)found that people who ate okra showed improvement in kidney disease.
Okra protects against liver disease
A 2011 study (2) showed okra has ability to prevent liver disease thanks to its antioxidant activities.
Okra protects the body against diabetes
Okra has been used to prevent and treat diabetes. In a study(3), rats with diabetes were given okra, and a decrease in their blood sugar levels happened after some time.
Okra is good for mental health
A research from Mazandaran University of Medical Science (4) found that okra has ability to improve mood, this will be helpful for people who’re suffering from depression.
Okra helps prevent heart disease and even cancer
According to “Nutrition Journal”(5), okra has a higher concentration of antioxidants than many other high-antioxidant veggies and fruits. And a diet rich in antioxidants may help prevent heart disease, cancer and many other disorders.
There are many other benefits of incorporating okra into your diet:
- Improves immunity
- Improves vision
- Helps weight loss
- Cures constipation
- Improves hair health
- Repairs damaged skin
- Controls asthma
- Makes your bones stronger
With all these health benefits of this miracle vegetable, there is no reason to say no to give okra a chance, so try to eat okra more often.
Also By Author Alex Jordon