My Holidays are never complete until we have enjoyed a batch of Grandma’s Molasses Cookies. I have always loved these cookies and they turn out just slightly crisp on the outside but deliciously chewy on the inside.
The other day I happened upon a great article by Michael Ravensthorpe of SpiritFoods.net describing the benefits of Molasses for stimulating new hair growth and helping with pigmentation to reduce gray hair. You can read the article here. I’m not promising that eating one batch of these incredible cookies will make you look 10 years younger but I do promise you will love the cookies.
Make sure to use organic and unsulfured molasses to ensure you are getting all the great nutrients and benefits. My favorite brands are Grandma’s Molasses or Brer Rabbit.
Grandma’s Molasses Cookies
3/4 cup melted butter
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup molasses (Unsulfured Black Strap)
2 cups unbleached flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon each of ground cloves, ginger and salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Extra sugar for rolling
1. Combine butter, sugar, molasses and egg in large mixing bowl
2. Combine flour, baking soda and spices in medium bowl
3. Add flour mixture to butter mixture and stir until well combined
4. Chill for one hour in refrigerator
5. Scoop out dough (I use an ice cream scoop) and roll into 1 inch balls
6. Roll balls in sugar and place on cookie sheet (12 per sheet as they expand)
7. Press down slightly on cookie dough with the bottom of a glass or jar
8. Bake for 8-10 minutes in a 375 degree oven. Cool on rack.
Have a Blessed and Happy New Year,