Health benefits of the Indian Gooseberry or Amla can be attributed to the high vitamin C content.
Gooseberry juice contains nearly twenty times as much vitamin C as orange juice.
One small Gooseberry is equals to 2 Oranges if compared with Vitamin C.
The Vitamin C in the Amalaki fruit is bonded with tannins that protect it from being destroyed by heat or light.
Ayurved says that regular use of Gooseberry can a help us live more than 100 years, a healthy life.
Gooseberry the richest natural source of vitamin C.
It tastes sour. Both dried and fresh fruits can be used.
The fresh fruit contains more than 80% water, protein, minerals, carbohydrates and fiber
It contains many minerals and vitamins like Calcium, Phosphorus, Iron, Carotene and Vitamin B Complex. Amla is also a powerful antioxidant agent.
The Indian Gooseberry belongs to the Euphorbiaceae family.
It is also a very important ingredient in the famous Chyavanaprash, and a constituent of Triphala (three fruits) powder.
The Gooseberry fruit tree has been worshipped in India from ancient times as the ‘Earth Mother’.
In Chinese traditional therapy, Gooseberry fruit is called Yuganzi which is used to cure throat inflammation.
The nutrition values of Amala are:
1. moisture, 91.4;
2. mineral matter, 0.7;
3. fiber, 3.4; calorie,
4. 96 (energy);
5. protein, 0.9;
6. fat, 0.1;
7. carbohydrate, 6.9g.
8. calcium, 34;
9. iron, 1.2;
10. vitamin B-1, 0.02;
11. vitamin B-2, 0.08,
12. vitamin C 463 mg. /100gms.
Following are the Health benefits, advantages of Amla.
Daily consumption is about 2 to 3 amla’s preferably morning time.
Can also be consumed in the form of Juice.
Gooseberry Candy is the dried form of Amla Fruit in Sugar Syrup.
1.Gooseberry is a vrishya herb, which means that it enhances all the seven tissues (dhatus), including the reproductive tissue.
2. Amla is useful in treating skin diseases. it has sheet virya in potency. It inhibits pitta and thus helps in getting relief from all the skin disorders caused by pitta .
3. Scientists at the Ferrara University in Italy have found that amla extracts slow the activity of osteoclasts, the cells that break down bone.
4.Gooseberry powder helps to clear pimples and acne
5. Amla prevents health related hyperlipidaemia through attenuating oxidative stress in the ageing process.
6. Applying the paste of ground seeds of Amla mixed with lemon- especially on the roots of the hair and washing after half an hour will clear the lices from the hair.
7. It enriches hair growth and hair pigmentation. It strengthens roots of hair, maintains color.
8. Amla powder prevents dandruff
9.Gooseberry Protects the body from radiation
10. It helps in chronic cough, child hood, tuberculosis and allergic asthma .
11. Taking Amla juice with honey is good for improving eyesight.
12. Amla is rich in antibacterial qualities; it helps the body fight better against infection and also builds up your immunity, which makes you more resistant to diseases.
13.Gooseberry stimulate the isolated group of cells that secrete the hormone insulin. Thus it reduces blood sugar in diabetic patient. Amla Juice with a pinch of turmeric twice a day before each meal.
14. Amla strengthens heart muscles.
15. It improves body resistance.
16. Due to its strong, cooling and laxative properties Amla is useful for remedies for diarrhea and dysentery. The dried Amla fruit is astringent and useful in cases of diarrhea and dysentery.
17.Gooseberry helps to get relief for gastric syndrome and hyperchlorhydria (burning sensation in abdomen).
19. liver disorder , Amla is excellent live tonic
20. If you take powder of Amlaki mixed with sugar in milk, about two time everyday, you will be cured of acidity completely.
21. The application of a small quantity of Amla oil to the head before bathing removes diseases of the eyes, night blindness and bilious giddiness
22. Indigestion – Dried Amla is an excellent digestive, which can be consumed after meals.
23. Taking fresh Amla juice with half tsp of ghee and 1 tsp. of honey and 100 gms. of milk-after lunch helps in curing piles problem.
25. It provides nourishment to the nerves and is helpful in paralytic situation.
26. urinary problems
27. respiratory problems
28. cerebral, gastro
29. cardiovascular illness
30. It lowers cholesterol level.
31.Gooseberry juice or powder with honey purifies blood.
32. It increases red blood cell production
33. Amla increases Hemoglobin.
34.Gooseberry strengthens teeth and nails.
35. Amla helps to reduce menstrual disorders. Keeps it regular.
36. It also acts as anti-inflammatory agent thereby suppresses swelling and pain.
37.Gooseberry confection is used in syphilis, flatulence, bronchitis, asthma and consumption.
38. To prevent or cure diabetes take a fresh one-fourth cup of Amla or a tea spoon of Amla powder with a tea spoon of turmeric powder everyday.
39. Amla is rich in chromium, which makes it very beneficial for diabetics.
40.Gooseberry and the Jamun fruit are mixed together, this mixture when taken in a teaspoon two time a day, can help in curing diabetes.
41. To get relief from acidity, mix one gram of amla powder with some sugar and add it to a glass of water drink it twice a day.
42. It supports strength of heart and lungs.
43.Gooseberry is good for Brain. To revitalize brain take a cupful of sugarless milk with the murabba of Amla.
44. Amla helps to improve memory
45. Taking Amla powder with radish helps in checking stone in bladder by breaking the stones and throwing it out with urine.
46.Gooseberry is helpful in lowering cholesterol and blood sugar level.
47. Amla with honey every day for one mouth cures the problem of leucorrhoea.
48.Gooseberry also helps boost protein metabolism. As amla enhances metabolism, it helps you lose weight faster.
49. Amla supports the reproductive systems of both men and women and can help overcome difficulty in conceiving.
50.Gooseberry revitalizes the semen. It helps in improving quality of sperms due to its sweet vipaka property.
According to U.S. RDA, daily intake of dietary vitamin C is as below:
1. Infants (age below 1 year): 30 to 35 mg
2. Children (age 1 to 14 years): 40 to 50 mg
3. Adolescent (age 15 to 18 years): 65 to 75 mg
4. Men (age over 18 years): 90 mg
5. Women (age over 18 years): 75 mg