How many times have you started a new diet or exercise routine – expecting great results – only to be left disappointed or frustrated with your outcome? You are not alone. You may be missing this key that will help you get the best results.
Often, we focus too much on our desired results and not enough on the best way to get there. As W. Edwards Deming said “You can expect what you inspect.” That is, we don’t get what we expect, we get what we inspect.
Mr. Demings has been called the ‘Father of Quality’. His influence has helped people produce many great products and services for nearly one hundred years. However, disregarding this important concept regularly leads to poor products and poor results. This applies not only to business and industry but to your life and health as well.
Inspecting Your Expectations For Best Results
This is similar to the concept of garbage in, garbage out. If we expect to get good results out of what we put into our lives, then we need to inspect:
- What we are putting into it – the inputs
- The process we are using.
The best results can be expected by using the best inputs and optimal processes to implement them.
For example, if you are trying (expecting) to lose weight, exercise and good nutrition are good inputs; whereas, diet pills and more T.V. time are not so good. Start inspecting what you are doing (the inputs) to make sure you are using the best methods.
Next, inspect the way you are implementing these (the process). For example, buying boxed and processed ‘diet’ foods may provide fewer calories but may also be loaded with preservatives and other chemicals that hamper optimal metabolism. Whereas, consuming an abundance of green leafy vegetables, berries, and healthy fats actually boost your metabolism and speeds weight loss.
Exercise is also great for weight loss because it causes you to burn off more calories. However, certain types of exercise – such as long distance running – increase stress hormones. This causes your body to store more fat and break down muscle, defeating your purpose. You don’t experience your expected results. Whereas, exercise such as HIIT creates the opposite effect in your body, allowing you to burn more fat and build more lean muscle.
Before making new changes, first take the time thoroughly inspect what you are putting in and the process you will use. Doing this inspection will more likely lead you to your desired result. “You can expect what you inspect.”
What You Should Do For Best Results
Here are a few inputs and processes related to your health and wellness. Take the time to inspect these areas in your life.
- Do you inspect your mindset and thought patterns? This is the most important area to begin your inspection. This area affects every other activity you do. A proper, positive, wellness mindset will help you exceed your best expectations!
- Do you consider preservatives and other chemicals in your foods and personal care products? Many of these chemicals cause hormone disruption and produce results that are opposite of your expectation.
- Do you consume more whole foods versus processed, “diet” foods? Though whole foods may require more preparation, they will definitely provide a better end result.
- Do you modify your exercise based on your desired results? If your goal is weight loss, you don’t need to spend hours on the treadmill. Fifteen minutes of high intensity interval training is far more effective at delivering this expectation.
- Do inspect your nervous system? Your nervous system controls every single cell, tissue and organ in your body. This includes your hormones and metabolism. Living with an impaired nerve system will always hamper your results. Visit your chiropractor regularly to ensure that your nervous system is optimized.
It is extremely frustrating to invest time, effort and money and not experience your desired results. Deliberately inspecting your input and process is the key to turning this around and experiencing the best results in your health and wellness.
Did you find this article helpful?
Please share this information with your friends and family on Facebook and Twitter. Please also Subscribe to WellnessAchiever.net and receive free email updates. This will also allow you to download your FREE copy of the Wellness Achiever Metabolism Boosting Food Guide! Here’s to your great health!