Spices and herbs can change an ordinary recipe into something magically scrumptious! But did you know they can also do wonders for your health? Researchers have found that many spices and herbs have medicinal properties that can help in fighting diseases like cancer. Some of them contain phytochemicals that biologically affect the human body and provide stimulation to our immune system. Scientists believe that phytochemicals may be of great help in fighting cancer. This is wonderful news for those of us who like a sprinkle of this and a pinch of that in the dishes we cook!
7 Culinary Spices and Herbs that Fight Cancer
Here are 7 of the top super spices and herbs that fend off cancer and keep you and your family healthy:
- Turmeric: This is a spice that contains curcumin, the substance that gives it its yellow color. Among the many anti-inflammatories that have been identified by scientists, curcumin is by far the most powerful. Cancer-causing tumors have blood vessel networks that feed them and curcumin prevents the blood vessels from doing this and kills the cancer cells. You can add turmeric to your stews, soups and sauces to add flavor and keep cancer at bay!
- Black Pepper: This is great news for women all over the world! A chemical compound that is naturally found in black pepper, known as piperine, has powerful antioxidant properties that help in inhibiting the growth of cancer cells associated with breast tumors. What is even better news? The healthy cells in your body remain untouched by the spice抯 strong anti-cancer properties! Pepper is great as it can be added to any dish to give it a punch and it is a much healthier alternative to salt!
- Basil: This amazing herb is filled with antiviral, antibacterial and antioxidant properties that make it a power herb when it comes to fighting cancer. There has been some new evidence that suggests that basil can actually help in decreasing carcinogenesis and protect you against cancer! Add its delicious leaves to salads, roasts and other favorite dishes to get all the goodness of this cancer-fighting herb!
- Cinnamon: Yes, according to several studies, this common spice is known to help in reducing the risk of cancer by a high percentage! It has loads of calcium and iron, which may be the reason why it works well against this fatal disease that affects so many people globally. Experts say that even just a half-teaspoon of cinnamon daily can help you fend off cancer!
- Oregano: This awesome herb contains a molecule known as carvacrol and experts believe that its naturally-occurring disinfectant properties may help in curbing the spread of cancerous cells in the body. Carvacrol is also found in other herbs including mint, basil, thyme, parsley and marjoram. You can add oregano to salads, pastas, pizzas and marinades to get the benefit of its cancer-fighting abilities!
- Rosemary: This is an amazing herb that not only adds wonderful flavors to your food but also helps in fighting cancer. Marinating beef and other meats with rosemary before cooking them at high temperatures can prevent carcinogens which are known to cause cancers. This awesome herb contains rosemarinic and carnosol which are potent antioxidants that kill heterocyclic amines (HCAs). To fight cancer, make a marinade with rosemary, thyme, ginger, garlic and other spices and herbs to treat your meat before you cook it!
- Garlic: For centuries, garlic is known to have many health benefits, and fighting cancer is one of them. Consuming large amounts of garlic can help you lower the risk of colorectal, ovarian and other cancers. Research has also shown that the size and number of precancerous growths in people with colon polyps history is substantially reduced after consuming supplements with aged garlic extracts for over 1 year. Of course, there is nothing quite like the goodness of fresh garlic so try to eat at least 5 cloves daily to lower the risk of cancer!
There may not be any guarantee that herbs and spices can cure cancer but the fact is that they do have powerful antioxidant, antiviral and antibacterial properties that make them super-allies in the kitchen in your fight against cancer! Make these super spices and herbs a part of your daily diet and use their anti-cancer powers to live a long and healthy life!