Fermented foods, good for us? 7 Reasons Fermented Foods Favour Our Body


Even though bacteria often get a bad rap in our antibiotic-obsessed culture, the truth is only 10% of bacteria are “bad” or pathogenic while the other 90% are “good” or non-pathogenic.

Bread and pasta are made with commercial yeast instead of being naturally leavened with wild yeast (sourdough). Wine, beer and cheeses are being pasteurized — killing off all the good bacteria we so desperately need to maintain health.

7 Reasons Fermented Foods Are Good For Us

Boosting immunity

Eating fermented foods help to boost your immune system. You are less likely to get sick when fermented items are part of your regular diet. Just a little dose of sauerkraut or kombucha can work wonders to keep you feeling well all year long! Many fermented foods have also been known to decrease allergic responses!

Best supplements

Probiotic supplements usually focus on one or two strains of bacteria, which is helpful for treating specific issues (a fungus such as ringworm or a Group B-strep in pregnancy, for example), but at times it can be problematic. For overall health, it is best to get the beneficial bacteria from foods rather than supplements because there will be a variety of different strains – and the more diverse the strains, the better for balancing the gut’s bacterial colonies.

Aid in digestion

Fermented foods are rich in enzymes that assist us in assimilating our food. Most foods require a specific enzyme to “unlock” their nutritional potential, so these enzymes are essential. Take milk for example – it contains the sugar lactose and we need the enzyme lactase in order to assimilate lactose. By culturing that milk into a variety of products, such as yogurt or kefir, those enzymes proliferate and thus the food is easier for us to digest.

Increases the vitamin

Fermented dairy products show an increased level of folic acid which is critical to producing healthy babies as well as pyroxidine, B vitamins, riboflavin and biotin depending on the strains of bacteria present.

Restore the proper balance of bacteria in the gut

Do you suffer from lactose intolerance? Gluten intolerance? Constipation? Irritable bowel syndrome? Yeast infections? Allergies? Asthma? All of these conditions have been linked to a lack of good bacteria in the gut.


It is becoming increasingly clear that a healthy bacterial microflora is essential to health and well-being. The bacteria in our intestines exist in complex communities that help us digest food and assimilate nutrients, synthesize essential nutrients for us, and regulate our immune responses and many other aspects of our functionality.

Promote dental health

Cavities, gingivitis, periodontitis, and halitosis (bad breath) are all caused by the proliferation of harmful bacteria in our mouths. By eating fermented foods rich in lactic acid bacteria and other beneficial bacterias. This also falls in line with the belief that good dental health starts with good overall diet and health – that is, teeth are made strong from the inside. Obviously, brushing and flossing is still a very healthy practice, but the beneficial bacteria are part of the overall picture

Help body to function efficiently

Because fermented foods are loaded with probiotics and enzymes, they help your body digest foods efficiently. Your body has to do much less work to break down the fermented item. What’s more, the boost of beneficial flora that’s delivered to your gut helps you with efficient and effective elimination, which is key to digestive health and overall health and vitality. As they say, better out then in!

Sources and reference:


Also From Author

7 Health Benefits of Liquid Chlorophyll and Its Anti Cancer, Antioxidant, Antiseptic And Anti-inflammatory Properties

Study: Bowel cancer be reduced up to 40% by eating raw, pulverized garlic every day

10 Herbal Antibiotics: An Effective Defense Against Drug-Resistant Superbugs


Alijuina Herw
Alijuina Herw is a passionate, tea-loving, nutritionist, herbalist , who believes in the healing power of nature. She help people find out what their goals are, then coach them to use their own resources to improve their health and happiness. She like to see her as a very holistic nutritionist, herbalist that you can trust for the best advice and service for your health.