Essential oils are taking the world by storm, with the global essential oil market expecting to reach 11.67 billion U.S. dollars by 2022. Consumers are becoming increasingly aware of the health benefits associated with natural and organic personal care products.(1)
Global essential oil market expecting to reach 11.67 billion U.S. dollars by 2022!
Lavender essential oil is one of the most popular oil in the world. It has been used for medicinal and religious purposes for over 2,500 years. (2)
Lavender oil is extracted from lavender flowers through steam distillation. Today it is used in aromatherapy oil, gels, infusions, lotions and soaps.(3)
Lavender essential oil reduces anxiety, stress, heals wounds, improves sleep, and alleviates headaches!
Many people utilize lavender essential oil to help reduce anxiety and emotional stress, heal burns and wounds, improve sleep, restore skin complexion, slow aging, heal eczema and psoriasis and to alleviate headaches. (2)
While there are numerous uses for lavender essential oil, many people question the validity of these uses. Below are seven health claims that have been backed through scientific research studies.(2)
Numerous studies show the benefits of lavender essential oil use!
- Antioxidant Protection: Each day our bodies are exposed to toxins, chemicals and pollutants that can shut down the bodies immune system and cause damage to the body. Antioxidants help protect the body from these toxins and fight off free radicals. Research from China found that lavender essential oils can help the body produce three powerful antioxidants, glutathione, catalase, and SOD, within 22 hours of using lavender essential oil. Another study found that diffusing lavender essential oil for 60 minutes per day for seven days protected cells from damage that can lead to cancer.(2)
- Diabetes: A 2014 study found tested the effects of lavender essential oil on blood sugar. The 15 day study found that lavender essential oil protected the body from increase in blood glucose, metabolic disorders, weight gain, liver and kidney antioxidant depletion, liver and kidney dysfunction, and liver and kidney lipoperoxidation.(2)
- Mood Support and Brain Health: A 2013 study found that lavender essential oil was able to protect agains neurological damage. The study not only found that 80 mg of lavender essential oil alleviates anxiety, sleep disturbance and depression but it also was shown to reduce symptoms and development of Alzheimer’s disease. A 2012 study observed 28 high-risk postpartum women and found that diffusing lavender in their home resulted in a reduction of anxiety and depression following four weeks of aromatherapy treatment. Another 2012 study found that lavender is a viable treatment for stroke. Research has also shown that lavender aromatherapy decreased depression by 32.7 percent and dramatically decreased sleep disturbances, moodiness, and overall health in 47 people diagnosed with PTSD.(2)
- Wound Care: Lavender oil has been found to speed up healing for burns, cuts, scrapes and wounds. One study evaluated lavenders antimicrobial ability when mixed with clove, cinnamon or tea tree oil. A 1:1 ratio was found to be effective in fight bacteria and fungal infections.
- Headaches: One study found that inhaling lavender essential oil for 15 minutes can result in a significant reduction of pain for those suffering from migraine headaches.
- Sleep/Insomnia: One study found that lavender oil improved the quality of sleep by 60 percent for college students. Another study found that the oil showed immediate results on men and women struggling with insomnia.
- Pain: Regular massage using lavender essential oil can provide pain relief. A postoperative pain relief study found that infusing lavender essential oil vapor into oxygen significantly reduced pain for patients.(3)
- Hair care: A Scottish study found that 40 percent of alopecia patients experienced an increase in hair growth when regularly rubbing lavender oil on their scalp. (3)
If you are seeking natural alternatives that will improve your health, consider adding essential oils into your daily routine.