My husband is the lead singer (screamer) for the metal band Numbers. He’s amazing at what he does, but in order to keep those growls howlin’, he has to take care of his throat, especially during the winter months. A sore throat is a big problem when you’re about to hit the stage in front of tons of fans.
We used to reach for Chloraseptic Throat Spray whenever his throat was in flames, but the active ingredient in Chloraseptic is Phenol. What is Phenol? According to the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry,
“Phenol is both a manufactured chemical and a natural substance. Phenol is used as a disinfectant and is found in a number of consumer products. Skin exposure to high amounts can produce skin burns, liver damage, dark urine, irregular heart beat, and even death. Ingestion of concentrated phenol can produce internal burns…
Phenol is used primarily in the production of phenolic resins and in the manufacture of nylon and other synthetic fibers. It is also used in slimicides (chemicals that kill bacteria and fungi in slimes), as a disinfectant and antiseptic, and in medicine.”
Yikes. Ok, no. But, ya know, thanks and all.
As Google would have it, I came across an all natural throat spray that really works for numbing the pain without being, ya know, a slimicide.
- 1/4 cup purified water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (use real lemon juice, not “real lemon” juice that comes in the plastic lemon with a green lid. It has preservatives, and you don’t need them.)
- 5 drops organic peppermint essential oil
- 15 drops organic Lemon essential oil (I had lemongrass essential oil, and it worked great!)
- Mix all ingredients and funnel into a spray bottle.
- Spritz in the back of the throat when needed.
- Store in the fridge.
There, don’t you feel better knowing that you’re treating your body with something natural and organic? I do! Remember, you deserve more than chems.
Happy screaming 🙂