Onion and garlic are spicy in nature which a lot of people cannot tolerate. Those people do not know what invaluable gifts of nature they are missing. The anticancer effects of onion and garlic found in latest research have provoked new thoughts among scientists.
Some important vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C, Vitamin B6, Copper, Manganese, Selenium, allicin and sulfur compounds are found in garlic and other allium vegetables like onions, leeks, shallots, and scallions. These foods contribute very low calorie to the meal. They also stimulate the production of glutathione in the liver, which is important for detoxification of various noxious compounds.
Medicinal use of foods
Italian researchers found that the incidence of cancer is low in people who consume onion and garlic regularly in their meal. Several comparative Swiss and Italian studies have been conducted to establish the negative association between allium foods consumption and malignancy.
Including onion, garlic and other allium plant products like chives and leeks in the meal on a regular basis can reduce the development of cancer in gastrointestinal and genitor-urinary systems.
Likelihood of development of colorectal, laryngeal and ovarian cancer is inversely proportional to the amount of onion consumed. That means the level of natural cancer protection is proportional to the amount of onion in your meals. Garlic consumption in moderate amount reduces the risk of colorectal and renal cancers. Increased intake of garlic provides primary prevention for almost all types of cancers.
However, there is no preventive role of allium herbs on breast and prostate cancers because of their hormone sensitivity.
Sulfur compounds are responsible for the characteristic pungent smell and taste. These are essential elements of connective tissues including tendons, ligaments, and cartilages. Sulfur is also required for tissue regeneration and wound healing.
Onion and garlic as medicines
- Biological sources of anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial agents.
- Wash away LDL cholesterols and increase HDL cholesterols and thus protects the cardiovascular system.
- Boost natural defense system of the body by increasing the production of NK cells.
- Help liver to detoxify the blood.
- Prevent atherosclerosis (hardening and thickening of blood vessels) and reduce central and peripheral vascular diseases.
- Maintain optimum blood pressure.
- Make the blood less likely to clot by improving blood flow and maintaining optimum viscosity.
- Prevent some grave and debilitating diseases like heart disease, Alzheimer’s disease, and cancers.
- Control body fat by balancing lipid metabolism.
Consuming in proper ways
- Natural cancer protection can be achieved if active chemicals of garlic and onion remain unaltered during consumption. Raw form is ideally the best form to consume.
- Using garlic right after chopping or crushing should be avoided. At least two minutes should be given for proper action.
- Too much heat destroys antioxidants quickly. So microwave should be avoided during the preparation of foods rich in antioxidants.
Garlic and onion are important components of a healthy and balanced diet. A long and healthy life can be led if a balanced diet is combined with proper exercise. It is time to make the best use of these nature-gifted substances.
Find more relevant articles and eBooks on Dr. Adem Website, An alternative cancer treatment expert.
Reference: The benefits of onions and garlic…, October 19,2015