If you’re looking for small ways to make a big impact on your health, then stocking up on berries to snack on is your answer!
Berries have been shown to have powerful health benefits, for instance, they are loaded with phytochemicals, which are nutrients that prevent cell damage (1).
Including these small, delicious fruits into your diet will not only taste great, but will give your health a boost. Now that is a win/win!
Top 3 healthy berries to eat
All berries are good for you, but read on to find out which three berries are among those that pack the most powerful health benefits.
1) Blueberries health benefits
Blueberries are abundant and easy to find, delicious, and high in antioxidants – just brimming with healthy nutrients! Here are some fast facts about this popular berry (2):
- Blueberries contain antioxidants such as anthocyanins – and this can fight inflammation.
- There are some promising preliminary studies that reveal blueberries might be a key in fighting obesity.
- The antioxidants in blueberries can shield your body from excess oxidative stress, and this can help protect your cardiovascular system.
- The high amounts of phytonutrients in blueberries assist in preventing diseases.
- Women eating one serving of blueberries a week experienced less mental decline over those who did not, according to studies. (3)
2) Health benefits of strawberries
It’s hard to find anyone who doesn’t love this red, sweet-as-pie fruit! The fact that it boasts tremendous health benefits makes it extra-special.
- Good news for expectant moms: strawberries are an excellent source of folate – a critical nutrient for the early stages of pregnancy. Folate assists with the brain and spinal cord development for baby. (4)
- Packed with potassium and magnesium, strawberries help soften blood vessels, which improves blood flow and decreases hypertension. (4)
- Strawberries are loaded with the antioxidant phytonutrients known as phenols, which help protect you from disease. (5)
3) Are cherries good for you?
Cherry fruit is a perennial favorite among young and old alike. The fact that they are loaded with health-benefiting nutrients and antioxidants, and in addition, are a low-calorie snack makes them extra-wonderful!
- High amounts of quercetin and ellagic acid are found in cherries, which have been shown to promote cell and tissue health. (6)
- Cherries have nutrients shown to reduce joint and muscle pain. (6)
- This delightful fruit can also help you maintain a beautiful complexion, as it contains melatonin, a natural chemical related maintaining a youthful appearance. (6)
Antonia is a science enthusiast with a keen interest in health nutrition. She has been intensely researching various dieting routines for several years now, weighing their highs and their lows, to bring readers the most interesting info and news in the field. While she is very excited about a high raw diet, she likes to keep a fair and balanced approach towards non-raw methods of food preparation as well. Read more by Antonia here, and SUBSCRIBE!
Sources for this article include: