Food poisoning is caused by either bacteria or other toxins in food. The symptoms associated with food poisoning tend to be nausea, vomiting, headache, dizziness, cramps and diarrhea.
When you suffer from food poisoning, your body loses a great deal of water so it is important to stay hydrated. Water will help to flush the toxins and bacteria out of your system. Additionally, drinking fruit juice and broth help rejuvenate the body, adding back vitamins and minerals that have been lost.
As soon as realize you have food poisoning, there are some home remedies you can try. Use these readily available ingredients right from your kitchen:
1) Ginger: Ginger works on nearly all types of digestive problems, and this includes food poisoning. Add ginger to a cup of tea, and drink it to stop the heart burn and nausea related to food poisoning. You can also add ginger juice to honey and take this several times a day in order to reduce inflammation and pain.
Eating raw ginger will increase the acid level in your stomach and this can help you digest the food in your stomach more quickly.
2) Apple Cider Vinegar: Another great home remedy is apple cider vinegar. While it is acidic in nature, apple cider vinegar has an alkaline effect on the body because of the way it is metabolized. It can actually alleviate your food poisoning symptoms, soothing the lining of the stomach and killing the bacteria located there.
Simply add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to a cup of hot water or tea and drink before eating solid food. This will help to prevent acid indigestion.
3) Lemon: Lemon is anti-inflammatory, antiviral, and antibacterial. It helps kill the bacteria that cause food poisoning. Simply add a pinch of sugar to one teaspoon of lemon juice and drink it several times a day. Or, drink water with lemon throughout the day to cleanse the toxins from your system.
4) Basil: Basil is an herb that will cure the infections caused by food poisoning. Drink basil juice with honey, or add basil oil to your water. Drinking this slowing throughout the day will kill the bacteria that is causing your stomach pain.
You can also add basil leaves, sea salt, and a bit of black pepper to plain yogurt and eat it three to four times a day until your symptoms subside.
5) Garlic: Garlic is very effective in fighting a number of things, including food poisoning. It is a strong antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal food that will relieve symptom of diarrhea and abdominal pain because it destroys unhealthy microbes in the intestines.
6) Banana: Since bananas are a rich source of potassium, they can greatly reduce the effects of food poisoning. One banana can restore your energy levels, too.
7) Cumin: Cumin seeds can control stomach inflammation. Simply crush one tablespoon of cumin seeds and swallow it, and follow this with a glass of water. This will cleanse the system and relieve your food poisoning symptoms.
8) Peppermint Tea: Peppermint tea has a soothing effect on the stomach. It works to relieve stomach cramps.
9) Honey: Honey has antifungal and antibacterial properties. These are effective for treating food poisoning symptoms. Honey can be used as a natural remedy in its pure form or added to tea. Try taking a teaspoon of honey three times a day to control the formation of excessive acid in the stomach.
These natural remedies are great for alleviating the symptoms of food poisoning on your own. Remember to consult your doctor in the event of extreme of diarrhea and dehydration.
More from Alex Jordon: