Getting smooth and shiny hair is no big deal nowadays owing to a number of products that are readily available on the market. But then, they are all laced with chemicals, which do more damage to the tresses than good! Add to this the frequent heat and chemical treatments (like bleaching or dying hair) that your hair is subjected to and you’ll know for sure that the health of your hair is going for a toss. The only way out of this “catastrophe” is to stop using products full of chemicals and say no to excessive styling. Since this is not possible to implement for everyone, the other alternative is to work upon restoring the health of your hair through some deep-conditioning treatments.
Let us take a look at some of the natural deep conditioning treatments that you can try making at home and restoring the health of your hair.
- Hot Oil Massage – The benefit of hot oil massages is an open secret. They make the hair soft and increase blood circulation on the scalp. You can choose any oil for hot oil massage and also add a few drops of essential oils. For instance, you can mix coconut oil or olive oil with any essential oil such as – tea tree, lavender or rosemary. Head the mix till it reaches a thick and creamy consistency. Apply this mix to your hair and make it a point to massage the scalp followed by combing your hair with a wide tooth comb. This will evenly distribute the oil. Put on a shower cap after this and let it be for 30 minutes-1 hour. Rinse it off with a mild shampoo. Follow this regimen for once or twice a week for best results.
- Banana Olive Oil Honey Mask – Did you know that something as simple as banana can be great for your hair? While ripe, mashed banana in itself is the best mask for your hair, you can mix it with olive oil and honey as a deep-conditioning mask for damaged hair. To make this mask, mix banana, olive oil and a few drops of honey. Blend them together to form a smooth paste. Apply the paste on your scalp and the length of your hair to make it smooth and supple.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Vinegar is known for its cleansing property. Apple Cider Vinegar in particular, is immensely useful for clarifying and smoothening hair and restoring its shine. All you need to do is combine a tablespoonful of vinegar and mix it with half cup of water. Use this mix to rinse your hair every time you shower for wonderful results.
- Shea Butter and Avocado Mask – Shea butter has hydrating properties and is said to be a natural cure for split ends. Mix shea butter with avocado for a nutrients-loaded hair mask that helps you get rid of split ends and soft hair. As an alternative, you can also mix shea butter in any oil and create a deep-conditioning mask for your hair to nourish it. This mask is also useful for increasing your hair’s volume and thickness.
- Egg mask – Whisk an egg with a few drops of lemon juice to create a hair protein mask that deeply nourishes your hair. If you have oily hair, skip using the egg yolk and if you have normal-dry scalp, then make sure that you use the egg yolk along with the egg-white. Additionally, you can increase the number of eggs, depending upon how thick and long your hair is. You can also add a few drops of olive oil or almond oil in the mix and create a different type of mask. Cover your hair with a shower cap post-application and leave it for about half an hour. Rinse it off using a mild shampoo. As a result of this mask, you’ll get smooth, shiny and soft hair.
- Yoghurt mask – Yoghurt has everything that your hair needs viz. proteins, vitamins and anti-oxidants. And on top of everything, it also has moisturizing and anti-bacterial properties. It is an excellent remedy for temporary dandruff relief and controlling greasy hair. Combine it with lemon juice for an effective dandruff cure mask. Rinse it off with a mild shampoo. Know all about dandruff here.
- Aspirin – Aspirin isn’t really used in hair masks, but as a standalone product for cleansing the hair. Also, you don’t have to put much of an effort in using it as all you need to do is crush an aspirin and mix it with your shampoo. The salicylic content in aspirin will cleanse your scalp and help you get rid of all the excess oil and product buildup. It also helps restore the shine in your hair. Follow this regimen every alternate week to get visible results.
- Baking Soda – Just like aspirin, baking soda is also an excellent cleanser for your hair. However, beauty experts don’t recommend using it on recently colored/dyed hair as it may strip the hair of artificial colors and dyes.
- Aloe Vera mask – Aloe vera has both anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, which is an excellent remedy for curing itchy scalp. You can use aloe vera gel extracted from the leaves of the aloe vera plant or get readymade gel available in stores for this purpose. Take a generous amount of aloe vera gel on your palm and gently apply it on damp hair. Make sure that you cover all your hair from the roots to the tips. Let it set in and then rinse it off using a mild shampoo. This will act as an amazing conditioner and give you smooth hair texture.
These are some of the easiest natural deep-conditioning treatments that you can make at home. Apart from making your hair feel great, these treatments are also easy on the pockets! So, make is a habit to go for the treatment at least once or twice a week and restore the health of your hair. Have any other natural hair masks that needs to be on this list? Let us know!