“Having trouble with your yellow teeth? Use baking soda.”
“Can’t get your chicken wings crispy enough? Try baking soda.”
“Tired of blackheads? Apply baking soda.”
So you have read/heard a lot about this amazing cooking product and its magical powers like treating acne, blackheads, teeth-whitening etc. Probably, you have tried a few of those at home too. Talking about that, I remember one of my friends once tried that teeth-whitening for a few days, but she is not the one you can fool with a product which does not deliver the “desired” result in overnight. Hence, she Google-d for the next home remedies and moved on. All she needs is a pair of glistening white teeth like we see in the usual red carpet covershots. My innocent friend even dismissed the power of Photoshop when I tried to convince about the secret behind those celebrity smiles. Anyway, so back to the topic! Do you know this amazing cooking product can be used as multipurpose cleaner/personal care item/deodorant/medicine?
Here’s for you the 7 secret uses of baking soda revealed –
7. The all-rounder cleaning agent: You can use baking soda to clean your microwave oven, stainless steel kitchen sink, shower, fiberglass bathtub, bathroom tiles, refrigerator, doors, laminated tabletops, car seats, stoves, floor tiles, strollers etc. I know it’s tough, but try to memorize this list or save it in a notepad. Okay, now HOW to clean all these things? The procedure is same for everything. Take a damp sponge, sprinkle some baking soda on it, rub the surface or whatever is there in the list, and then wipe the thing with a clean and dry cloth. Yes, it is THAT simple.
6. The all-rounder deodorant: From your armpit to the stinky sink drain or the cloth diapers or the garbage disposals, baking soda can do wonder as a deodorizing agent. Shocked already? Hold it for a few seconds more until you finish the list here. Apart from the things I have already told you, it can also deodorize all types of food containers, dishwasher, kitchen garbage, carpet, cat litter box, a closet, storage bags of used clothes, shoes and shoeboxes, car carpets, pet bedding etc. All you need to do is sprinkle generous amount of baking soda on whatever you want to deodorize, let it be for 15 to 20 minutes and then beat it like a rug. Now don’t do this with your armpit or food containers or things you know you can’t beat. For such ‘delicate’ items, make a paste or solution of baking soda and water, and clean them up.
5. Cleaners’ energy booster: The detergent or dishwashing liquid you bought last week is not that effective? No worries. Whether it’s any kind of laundry detergent or dishwasher or bleach, you can boost the power of the liquid by adding a big of baking soda. For your dishwashing liquid, use 2 tbsp of baking soda with one cup of dishwasher and water solution. For liquid detergent and liquid bleach, use one half cup of baking soda for one wash. Your clothes and utensils will shine like new ones. Bingo!
4. Grill De-greaser: Barbecue is fun but not the grills after the party is over. And I bet your friends or partner will be of no help in this. Such unfair world! Anyway, just make a paste of equal amount of water and baking soda, apply the mixture on the grills, wipe them with a piece of cloth and again use another piece of cloth to dry them. Next time before you say ‘yes’ to a barbeque party, don’t forget to make a deal beforehand. 😉
3. Antiseptic skin cream: Whether it’s some wild plant that has kissed your sensitive skin with its poison leaves or a naughty insect, handle such skin irritations or rashes by applying a mixture of baking soda and water. Now, wear shorts and hot pants, and throw open challenges to those insects and plants. You’re not the one to MESS with!
2. Medicine for digestion: Now, you will know why people are after soda water. From now on, if you ever feel heartburn, just run to the kitchen, take a tablespoon of baking soda, mix it with a glass of water and just drink. It will neutralize the acid forming inside your stomach.
1. Can fight cancer: Believe it or not, a Roman oncologist, Dr. Simonchini discovered that baking soda can help one fighting cancer or cancerous tumors.
So, what’s the ultimate thing you need in your kitchen throughout the year? Tell us YOUR amazing baking soda uses in the comments below!