A canker sore can be a painful thing. These ulcers are typically found at the bottom of the gum line in the mouth, and they make eating, drinking, and even talking quite difficult. They can even show up on the tongue, the lining of the cheek or the inside of the lips.
Causes of Canker Sores
Canker sores can be caused by tissue injury, acidic foods, dental appliances or pointed tooth surfaces, or even injuries caused by eating sharp foods like nuts or chips. A canker sore could be caused by biting the inside of the mouth, a food allergy, a bacterial infection, and even PMS.
If you are fed up and just want your canker sore to go away, there are a number of home remedies that you can try.
Try these easy-to-use home remedies:
1. Alum Powder: Alum powder is one of the best methods of getting rid of canker sores. Typically found in kitchens, alum can be placed directly on the ulcer. Let it sit there for about a minute and then remove. Spit the saliva, but do not rinse your mouth. This will have a bitter taste, but it works. Within a day you will notice that the pain is gone.
2. Oregano Oil: Oregano oil is an antibacterial, and will help to fight off the virus and get rid of the pain right away. You can use the oil full strength or dilute it. If you use it full strength it will feel very hot, so you may want to test it. It is safe to swallow oregano oil. Apply the oil directly to the canker sore and leave on the sore as long as you can take it!
3. Salt Water: This method can be quite painful, but it is one of the most effective ways to combat a canker sore. Add one teaspoon of salt to a cup of warm water. Mix well. Rinse your mouth with this mixture several times. You can also use baking soda instead of salt, it works just as well. Do this several times a day.
4. Hydrogen Peroxide: Mix a small amount of hydrogen peroxide solution with an equal amount of water and apply it directly to your canker sore. Rinse your mouth and spit. Repeat this twice a day until the canker sore heals. Typically this should speed the healing and your sore will disappear in two to three days. Make sure not to swallow the peroxide.
5. Lemon Juice: Place a drop or two of lemon juice directly onto your canker sore. Leave them in there for about five minutes; rinse. Repeat several times a day.
6. Coriander Leaves: Coriander has antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, and antifungal properties. All of these will lessen the pain of your canker sore. Boil coriander leaves in a small pot of water. Strain the leaves and then rinse your mouth with the remaining water three or four times a day.
Or you can boil coriander seeds and gargle with the water.
7. Honey: Honey is a natural soother for almost any ailment. It has both antibacterial and antiseptic properties. For canker sores, put a teaspoon of honey around the canker sore. It may hurt for a minute, but soon it will ease both the pain and the inflammation.
More articles from author: