People usually talk about anxiety or the compulsive need to worry. The phrase “you have to take everything with a pinch of salt” is more apt in today’s world. However, a pinch of salt with everything doesn’t sound too good for blood pressure. Blood pressure is a serious consequence.
High blood pressure, also known as hypertension, is classified as a chronic medical condition. The World Health Organization has identified high blood pressure as one of the leading causes of cardiovascular mortality.
Here are some drinks that can help you prolong your life and keep that blood pressure in check:
Milk is the world’s favourite drink. Apart from being the favourite drink of the world, milk also serves as a great drink to help lower blood pressure. Many cases of high blood pressure have been linked to calcium deficiency. Rather than consuming regular milk, opt for low-fat milk as it is helps you absorb the calcium better. You could also take calcium tablets; this also helps in lowering the blood pressure.
2. Beetroot Juice:
A great source of potassium, beets are packed with folate. Both minerals and vitamins are crucial in maintaining a steady blood pressure. Beets also contain nitrates, which are converted easily into nitrites by the stomach. Nitrates help in relaxing muscle tissue and increasing blood flow. Recent studies have proven that beetroot juice helps lower blood pressure almost immediately.
3. Pomegranate Juice:
Not only does it taste great, pomegranate juice also helps in lowering the blood pressure. Pomegranate juice works on the ACE enzymes that increase blood pressure. Jonny Bowden, a nutrition guru, recommends six ounces of pomegranate juice a day. Studies have shown that pomegranate juice reduces a minimum of 25% ACE in the human body and also lowers the systolic blood pressure.
4. Cranberry Juice:
Cranberry juice is another great antioxidant that helps in lowering blood pressure. It helps in repairing the blood vessels which in turn helps in lowering blood pressure. It lowers blood pressure by dilating vessels. Cranberries are a brilliant source of vitamin C. However, make sure you consume 100% cranberry juice as many substitute products are available that taste almost like the real thing.
Tea is an excellent antioxidant and helps lower blood pressure instantaneously. Sipping two to three daily cups of tea over forty five days can help you lower your systolic blood pressure by six –seven points. Make sure you consume hibiscus tea as it is most effective in lowering blood pressure. Hibiscus also contains bioactive phytochemicals, also found in pomegranate juice. Pomegranate juice is packed with the same phytochemicals and acts as a natural ACR inhibitor.
These are the five best drinks to help lower blood pressure. However, you would have to be a bit strict with yourself if you wish for a normal healthy lifestyle. Here are some tips you should follow to help lower your blood pressure:
- Reduce the amount of carbohydrate intake: High carbohydrate intake is among the primary reasons that lead to high blood pressure. Evidence advocates that pathological changes adhering to insulin and glucose lead to hypertension.
- Consume fatty fish: Fatty fish are packed with essential omega-3 fats. These fats help reduce hypertension and alleviate cardiovascular problems.
- Reduce consumption of caffeine: Although it plays a minor role in blood pressure, caffeine can amplify the influence of hypertension in your body.
- Avoid smoking: Smoking can accelerate hypertension. Many believe that smoking calms an individual. This conclusion cannot be more ill-educated. Your blood pressure increases fivefold for an hour after smoking.
- Hit the gym: High blood pressure often leads to weight gain. Losing a few kilos helps in lowering blood pressure. If you feel that you are of optimum weight and do not need to lose weight, do cardiovascular exercises.
- Reduce salt intake: As mentioned in the introduction, the intake of salt leads to a high blood pressure. Therefore, monitor your intake of salt on a daily basis.
- Limit your alcohol: Alcohol is another prime factor that causes high blood pressure. Although, consuming a meagre amount of alcohol is advised, going overboard leads to high blood pressure.
- Breathe deeply: Performing breathing exercises like breathing slowly and meditation helps in reducing hypertension. You can also practice yoga or tai chi to relieve stress.
- Dark chocolate: Chocolate is a great way to relieve stress. Studies have proven that chocolate is an anti-oxidant and helps in lowering blood pressure. However, not every chocolate that you eat relieves stress, only the ones that contain 70% or higher cocoa help you do that.
These are some healthy habits that you should inculcate to help you lowering your blood pressure.