“Choking the days out of your life, and life out of your days,You think you smoke up the cigarettes while it transmutes you to fumes…”
My friend, he was too young to die.
Fascinated by the smokers around, he became one of them- “an avid smoker” by the time we reached college. Soon after 10 years, when he was successful, settled, and the dad to an adorable baby girl, his lifestyle caught him up. He developed the smoker’s cough and uneasiness in breathing, which was worsening up with time. Few months later, I saw him in the hospital masked in the breathing apparatus and inserted with the chest tubes. It was disheartening to see him like that, struggling for every single breath like a fish dragged out of the water.
In the medical examination, doctors found out that one of his lungs, blackened and filled with tar, has completely conked out. After the months of painful treatments, strong medications, and the artificial respiration processes, his soul departed away.
No individual or family deserves to bear the inexorable pain caused by the awful demise of their loved one caused for the reason as pathetic as smoking, and the burden of the gigantic medical bills. If only he was smart enough to take early precautions, inculcate the good habits in his daily routine, and clean up his lungs from tars, toxins, and poisons, he would have been with us, his family, and his little girl.
“The lungs are very durable if they’re not attacked from the outside, with a few exceptions, your lungs don’t get into trouble unless you get them into trouble”, says Norman H. Edelman, M.D., chief medical officer of the American Lung Association (ALA).
So, What Can You Do For Your Lungs’ Health?
I read on the pack of cigarettes, “Smoking seriously harms you and others around you”. See, even the cigarette companies are familiar with the dangers associated with their product.
“The exposure to second-hand smoke (SHS) causes an estimated 5% of the global burden of disease (lung cancer), slightly higher than the burden from direct use of tobacco,” says the write-up published in the Indian Journal of Public Health in 2011.
If you are a smoker or live around one, then chances are your lungs are extremely layered by the destructive black tar. Therefore, lungs’ health being the mass concern, it’s important for each one of you to purify the lungs by instilling some healthy habits in the routine life.
Have a look:
Reverse The Damage In The Span Of Three Days!
It’s a 3-day mantra, approved by the medical experts, which cleanses, detoxifies and purifies the lungs of the ill-effects of the years of smoking and breathing the toxic air, thereby healing you from the inside out:
A Night Before 3-Days Detoxification:
Needless to say, during the 3 days of “lungs’ purification” regime, you have to totally refrain from the virulent cigarettes that contain the lethal ingredients like cyanide, acetone, nitrosamine, etc., which creates a coating on the lungs and windpipes ultimately causing coughing, bronchitis, and other infections. Also, it concurrently means the forbiddance of the e-cigarettes, smokeless tobacco products like chewing gums, and such sorts of other tobacco products as well.
Gulp Down The Herbal Tea
Have the herbal tea or potion a night before beginning the 3-days-detox. It can be made up of the preventative herbs such as the thyme, eucalyptus, peppermint, plantain, sage, etc. These herbal teas, free from the side-effects of the modern pharmaceuticals, prevent the respiratory system from viruses and allergies, and release the damaging toxins that can cause constipation and intestinal problems.
Next Day, As You See The Sun:
Drink The Organic Lemon Water
Say a literal ‘good morning’ to your day by drinking the organic lemon water as you wake up. This organic lemon water, packed with the antioxidants and vitamin C, will work like a therapy for the lungs by cleansing the body toxins, and enhancing the quality of breathing.
Throughout The Day 1:
Engage In Healthy Diet
To keep your lungs in the top-notch condition, start from the salubrious diet:
Pick Your Breakfast, Lunch And Dinner:
- Antioxidant-Rich Food: Consider the rich food like the yellow bell peppers, blueberries, broccoli, grapes, sweet potatoes, green tea, dark chocolates, and fish in your diet. These are excellent for the purification of the lungs and maintenance of the uniform breathing.
- Carotenoid Food: Add the food characterized by the orange or red colors, such as the pumpkins, papayas, leafy green spinach, kale, etc. to your meals. These are profuse with the beta-carotene, beta-cryptoxanthin, phytonutrients, lutein and zeaxanthin, which are known to guard against the lung cancer.
- Folate & Vitamin B Rich Food: Include the food like the breakfast cereals, chicken, tuna, trout, lentils, black beans, asparagus, garlic, avocados, bananas, baked food, sesame seeds, Brazil nuts, etc. in your daily consumption. These are loaded with the vitamin b, methionine, and folate that maintain the healthy DNA and improve the lung function, breathing, and the condition of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, COPD.
Take Ample Of Fluids:
- Carrot Juice: Insert the 300ml of this healthy juice between your breakfast and lunch. It will alkalize your body and keep you energized whole day long.
- Potassium-Rich Juice: Have a glass of cranberry or any other potassium-rich juice during the lunch time, and before bed. It acts as a cleansing tonic and fights off the infections.
- Other Liquids: Drink up to 8 glasses of water and treat yourself with the luscious and healthy beverages like the pineapple or grapefruit juice at any hour of the day. The healthy liquid helps to flush out the toxins and unwanted substances from the body and keeps the lungs hydrated. Also, these liquids help to improve the blood flow and mucus flow in the body.
Keep Away From the consumption of refined grains, fatty and processed food, sugary, alcoholic or caffeinated drinks! The excess of these addictive items can play a major havoc to your lungs.
Other Easy And Impactful Activities:
For the overall health of the lungs, the following simple and efficacious activities carried out on the regular basis will do wonders:
- Deep Breathing: At any time of the day, indulge yourself in the deep breathing activity by inhaling from your diaphragm, expanding the lower belly, and then exhaling so that the muscles pull backward. It will clear the airways and let the nourishing oxygen come in. Also, try to progressively extend the breathing time span between the inhalation and exhalation
- Perk-Up Body Posture: To work upon your deskbound lifestyle, avoid slouching while you sit or stand. It helps to breathe back the strength in your lungs by easing up the inhalation and exhalation process. Also, by sitting tall and overhead, you increase the breathing capacity of your lungs.
- Cardio-Respiratory Exercises: Engage in a regular 30 minutes session of the cardio-respiratory exercises like the brisk walking, jogging, swimming, etc. every day. It will enhance your heart rate, blood circulation, and lungs’ strength and endurance.
- Well-Ventilated Clean Air: It’s important to keep a check on the environment you live in and the quality of the air you respire in. Especially if you spend the maximum part of your day in the hazardous surroundings that are exposed to the harmful chemicals, fumes, or dust, make sure the area is well-ventilated.
- Hot Shower Or Steam Treatment: The soothing touch of the hot water or sauna bath while bathing, will boost up the sweat secretion, thereby, ridding you off the toxic substances that envelope your lungs.. Also, you can steam treat yourself for 15 minutes on the day-to-day basis by adding the beneficial herbs like eucalyptus oil, etc. to hot water. It cleanses the lungs and soothes any infections, congestion, bronchitis, etc.
- Castor Oil Pack: You can use the inexpensive remedial pack of castor oil that can be simply made at the home for flushing away the toxins from the body. Place them on the chest or apply them as a rub, and it will wonderfully help in waste removal and the lymphatic movement.
“Exercise in itself won’t make your lungs stronger, but it will help you get more out of them”, says Dr. Edelman.
Follow it for the next 2 days, and if you feel like for the lifetime, and thank me later for the relief you receive from the pain, uneasiness, and exasperation caused by the years of breathing pollution and smoke. More to the point, your purified lungs will put back your days into the life, which unluckily my friend remained bereft of.
Ankit Gupta works for ExportsIndia.com. He is a notable health and fitness blogger and has contributed a number of fitness related write-ups. He is leading a healthy life owing to his extensive knowledge of fitness, and keeps a keen interest in studying and advocating about health equipments related to lung and heart, such as lung surgery instruments, heart lung machines etc. For more updates on lung health, follow Ankit on his Twitter Account.