When I was a kid, my grandmother would add a pinch of powdered nutmeg in my milk before bedtime. She did that for a reason as this spice does aid deep sleep and calms your mind as well.
Nowadays, nutmeg becomes more and more popular and has been widely used as a remedy for the treatment of sleeping disorders and other mental health problems too.
How to Use Nutmeg to Improve Sleep
1- Sleep-aid Drink
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground nutmeg
- a glass of warm milk or water
Mix the nutmeg into your water or milk and drink it before you go to sleep.
2- Nutmeg Facial Mask
Mix 1 part of nutmeg powder with 1 part of ghee to get a thick paste, apply this paste around your eyes and forehead at your bedtime.
Nutmeg is one of the best natural medicines for calming the mind and promoting a sound sleep, according to The Yoga of Herbs. It works effectively to treat insomnia by reducing the high vata in the colon and nervous system.
Nutmeg, this spice also benefits to your health in many other ways:
- Nutmeg provides antioxidants to protect you against diseases;
- Some active compounds in nutmeg has anti-fungal properties;
- Nutmeg contains eugenol, which can be used to treat a toothache and joints pain;
- Nutmeg with honey makes an effective remedy for nausea;
- The rich minerals such as potassium, calcium, iron and manganese keeps your immune system strong;
- Copper in nutmeg maintains your blood pressure at a healthy level;
- Nutmeg contains myristicin and macelignan, both of which are essential for a healthy brain function; (Top 5 Herbs to Improve Memory and Brain Function)
- This spice also helps treat skin infections and brighten your skin naturally.
More Bedtime Remedies For Better Sleep
Lemon balm tea has the ability to treat anxiety-related insomnia. Taking 2-3 cups of lemon balm tea every day has been proven to reduce insomnia largely thanks to the reduction in anxiety.
Chamomile, Passionflower, and Kava
All of these three herbs have anxiety-reduce effects, studies found that kava has a high evidence level for reducing anxiety, passionflower and chamomile have medium evidence levels.
As one of the most popular essential oils, lavender oil has sedative properties, and its calming aroma also helps you sleep well. (9 Amazing Benefits of Lavender Oil For Health, Hair, and Skin)
St John’s Wort
This herb has been proven to improve people’s mental health greatly. It treats anxiety, depression, low energy, and chronic fatigue, all of which affect sleep.
So, if you feel hard to sleep well, try these natural remedies instead of those drugs which may cause lots of side effects such as:
- Memory loss
- Dry mouth
- Painful throat
- Stomach pain